Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default XLT files will not save as XLS

If I open a template from a network drive by starting Excel and using
FileOpen to find the template and then try to Save As, it always leaves the
extension as XLT. If I browse to the template and open it by clicking on it,
then Save As it changes the extension to XLS.
Any idea why the first method tries to save the file back inot the original
template?
Thanks, John.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you use File|Open to get to that .xlt, then excel _knows_ you want to edit
the template--not a new workbook based on the template.

How about using File|New to create the new workbook instead.

And Windows/excel is smart enough to know to use New (instead of Open) when
double clicking on a .xlt file.

If you rightclick on a .xls file in windows explorer, you'll see New and Open
listed. But Open is bolded (the default action).

If you rightclick on a .xlt file in windows explorer, you'll see New and Open,
but New is bolded.

--

Dave Peterson