Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2003 says worksheet is locked for editing

However, no one else on our network is using it. It only allows me to open a
read-only file.

I put in more info into the file yesterday; however, today, when I try to
use that info for a mail merge, Excel and/or Word aren't recognizing the
additions.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can remedy this?

TIA for your answers.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If it really belongs to you, just open it, copy all the data to a new book,
and then save that new book with the settings you want. Or open it, and use
save as to give it a new name.

Then delete the old one.
--
Allllen

"Aimee" wrote:

However, no one else on our network is using it. It only allows me to open a
read-only file.

I put in more info into the file yesterday; however, today, when I try to
use that info for a mail merge, Excel and/or Word aren't recognizing the
additions.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can remedy this?

TIA for your answers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) folder a copy(s) of any file that is open.

Sometimes this *.tmp file is not deleted from the Temp folder when you close
out Excel(maybe a crash of Excel?) or the file, so Excel thinks it is still
open and in use.

You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up. If not, after a re-boot,
clear out your Windows\Temp folder.

If using WinXP your Temp folder would be under user.......

Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp

If on a network, re-booting the server may be the only solution other than
copying the data to a new workboo.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:17:02 -0700, Aimee
wrote:

However, no one else on our network is using it. It only allows me to open a
read-only file.

I put in more info into the file yesterday; however, today, when I try to
use that info for a mail merge, Excel and/or Word aren't recognizing the
additions.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can remedy this?

TIA for your answers.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP