Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I turn off the "do you want to save" alert in excel?

I use Excel extensively and would like to turn off the alert that asks me to
save every time I attempt to close a workbook. 99% of the time, I am not
making changes to the data, simply viewing. Any hints?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

SLB

Perhaps you have one or more volatile functions
in your workbook.

There are several Volatile Functions.

AREAS()
OFFSET()
CELL()
INDIRECT()
NOW()
TODAY()
RAND()

Any one or more of these could be the culprit that is updating and causing the
change(s) to be made.

You can do a Find for these or hit CTRL + `(backquote above Tab key) to toggle
View Formulas on and do a look search by eyeball.

Also, if the workbook you are opening was created in an older version of Excel,
you will be prompted to save.

If you do save, you won't be prompted again.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP