Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Picture (in Excel 2003)

Somehow, I saved an Excel spreadsheet file as a picture. Is there a way to
convert the picture into an Excel (.XLS) file or a text (.TXT) file.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you say "spreadsheet" what do you mean?

A worksheet from an Excel workbook?

Or the entire workbook has some sort of graphics extension like .jpg or .bmp or
give us a hint?

I don't know of any way to convert a graphics file into an *.xls or *.txt file

It was suggested earlier that you use some sort of OCR application to change the
graohic to text.

Keep us posted.......I would really like to know how you saved an Excel file or
worksheet as a picture.

A range saved as a picture.....yes.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:29:02 -0700, gcotterl
wrote:

Somehow, I saved an Excel spreadsheet file as a picture. Is there a way to
convert the picture into an Excel (.XLS) file or a text (.TXT) file.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I created an Excel workbook containing 572 cells (11 columns and 52
rows).

I saved the workbook as STSNBR.XLS.

I can open the STSNBR.XLS file (which even has the Excel icon) in
Excel.

However, on the "Formula Bar", the "Name Box" says "Picture 3".
(Normally, the column-and-row location of a cell would be displayed in
the "Name Box").

A very light "border" surrounds each "cell" but, when I refer to that
"cell" in a formula -- for example, =left(a1,6) -- the destination cell
is empty.

When I hold down and drag the right mouse-button, the entire "picture"
moves.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't see anything in your messages that explain how you got pictures in your
file--but it sure sounds like you did it!

If you know that you don't have any pictures you want to keep:
Edit|goto|special
objects
(click ok)

Hit the delete key on the keyboard.

This will select all the objects and delete them.

If you have multiple worksheets, you may want to check the other sheets, too.

You may want to save it as a new name, too. That way, you'll still have the
original file (still with the problem, though) if you need it.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have saved a range of cells as a picture by SHIFTEditCopy Picture

The name box shows the name of the picture.

The file is still an Excel *.xls file or you couldn't have opened it.

Click on the movable picture and you should be able to EditClearAll

Your actual data may be hidden behind the picture. No guarantees though<g

Gord

On 28 Aug 2006 17:01:19 -0700, "GARY" wrote:

I created an Excel workbook containing 572 cells (11 columns and 52
rows).

I saved the workbook as STSNBR.XLS.

I can open the STSNBR.XLS file (which even has the Excel icon) in
Excel.

However, on the "Formula Bar", the "Name Box" says "Picture 3".
(Normally, the column-and-row location of a cell would be displayed in
the "Name Box").

A very light "border" surrounds each "cell" but, when I refer to that
"cell" in a formula -- for example, =left(a1,6) -- the destination cell
is empty.

When I hold down and drag the right mouse-button, the entire "picture"
moves.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I clicked on the moveable "picture" then did EDIT/CLEAR/ALL and the
picture disappeared.
However, the Excel data was not "hidden" underneath.

I then opened the original Excel file and it's an acutal Excel workbook
with columns, rows and cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

All Excel *.xls files have columns, rows and cells.

Maybe the picture was of a range of cells on another worksheet in the same file.

Have a look at other sheets.

Gord

On 28 Aug 2006 17:35:10 -0700, "GARY" wrote:

I clicked on the moveable "picture" then did EDIT/CLEAR/ALL and the
picture disappeared.
However, the Excel data was not "hidden" underneath.

I then opened the original Excel file and it's an acutal Excel workbook
with columns, rows and cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The file has only one worksheet (the one with the picture).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

GARY wrote:
The file has only one worksheet (the one with the picture).

Just a wild suggestion. Try Windows Search for .xls to see if the
original is there somewhere. Who knows?

Johnnie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I (may have) thought of the source of the "picture".

On my PC, I have two desktops:

One is the normal "Windows" desktop
One is a "Citrix" desktop.

Excel 2003 is on both desktops.

==============================

I created the workbook using the "Windows" desktop "Excel 2003".

I opened up new (blank) workbook using "Excel 2003" on the "Citrix"
desktop.

I then copied the cells from the "Windows" desktop "Excel 2003" and
pasted them onto the "Citrix" desktop "Excel 2003".

The file on the "Windows" desktop "Excel 2003" is the for-real Excel
workbook.

The file on the "Citrix" desktop "Excel 2003" contains a picture of the
workbook.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gord,

No, I didn't hold SHIFT and hit Edit/Copy Picture. I just seleted and
copied the cells from the "Windows" desktop Excel and pasted them in to
"Citrix" desktop Excel.

Gary