Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel "Rows" Question

I use Excel to generate document forms instead of Word.
In many situations I prefer Excel for this purpose.

Is it possible to move the rows left or right independantly of each other.
For example assumming I have text in row 2, is there anyway to slide row 2
to the left of right horizontally independantly of the other rows above or
below it.
I know this is unlikely, but could it be done?

Thanks
Dermot
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Please ignore this posting.
I was thinking out loud!!!!
I can achieve what I want with Cell merging.

"Dermot" wrote:

I use Excel to generate document forms instead of Word.
In many situations I prefer Excel for this purpose.

Is it possible to move the rows left or right independantly of each other.
For example assumming I have text in row 2, is there anyway to slide row 2
to the left of right horizontally independantly of the other rows above or
below it.
I know this is unlikely, but could it be done?

Thanks
Dermot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Merging - YUK.

You can move rows left or right independently by inserting or deleting
cells. You might also find the use the indent feature useful for what you
are after

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"Dermot" wrote:

I use Excel to generate document forms instead of Word.
In many situations I prefer Excel for this purpose.

Is it possible to move the rows left or right independantly of each
other.
For example assumming I have text in row 2, is there anyway to slide row
2
to the left of right horizontally independantly of the other rows above
or
below it.
I know this is unlikely, but could it be done?

Thanks
Dermot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dermot

Try "Center across selection" rather than merging.

You may get the same result without the problems merged cells can create.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Dermot" wrote:

I use Excel to generate document forms instead of Word.
In many situations I prefer Excel for this purpose.

Is it possible to move the rows left or right independantly of each other.
For example assumming I have text in row 2, is there anyway to slide row 2
to the left of right horizontally independantly of the other rows above or
below it.
I know this is unlikely, but could it be done?

Thanks
Dermot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for this Ken,
It never entered my mind that I could enter a single cell.
I may never merge again!!!
Thanks
Dermot

------------------------------Â*------------------------------Â*----------------
------------------------------Â*------------------------------Â*----------------

"Dermot" wrote:

I use Excel to generate document forms instead of Word.
In many situations I prefer Excel for this purpose.

Is it possible to move the rows left or right independantly of each
other.
For example assumming I have text in row 2, is there anyway to slide row
2
to the left of right horizontally independantly of the other rows above
or
below it.
I know this is unlikely, but could it be done?

Thanks
Dermot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello Gord,
Do you mean centre the text within a selected cell?
Please explain a little further.
Thanks
Dermot

"Dermot" wrote:

I use Excel to generate document forms instead of Word.
In many situations I prefer Excel for this purpose.

Is it possible to move the rows left or right independantly of each other.
For example assumming I have text in row 2, is there anyway to slide row 2
to the left of right horizontally independantly of the other rows above or
below it.
I know this is unlikely, but could it be done?

Thanks
Dermot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dermot

Text is in A1

Select A1:E1 and FormatCellsAlignmentHorizontal.

Select "Center across selection"

Text will slide to the right, lining up with column C

Can't slide left with CAS.

Gord

"Dermot" wrote:

I use Excel to generate document forms instead of Word.
In many situations I prefer Excel for this purpose.

Is it possible to move the rows left or right independantly of each other.
For example assumming I have text in row 2, is there anyway to slide row 2
to the left of right horizontally independantly of the other rows above or
below it.
I know this is unlikely, but could it be done?

Thanks
Dermot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for this Gord
I knew, I didn't pick up correctly.
This too is a nice option.
Thanks
Dermot

"Dermot" wrote:

I use Excel to generate document forms instead of Word.
In many situations I prefer Excel for this purpose.

Is it possible to move the rows left or right independantly of each other.
For example assumming I have text in row 2, is there anyway to slide row 2
to the left of right horizontally independantly of the other rows above or
below it.
I know this is unlikely, but could it be done?

Thanks
Dermot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jaleel
Thanks for this, good of you to post
Have a good day
Dermot

"Dermot" wrote:

I use Excel to generate document forms instead of Word.
In many situations I prefer Excel for this purpose.

Is it possible to move the rows left or right independantly of each other.
For example assumming I have text in row 2, is there anyway to slide row 2
to the left of right horizontally independantly of the other rows above or
below it.
I know this is unlikely, but could it be done?

Thanks
Dermot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

LOL - You're welcome :-)

Regards
Ken.....................

"Dermot" wrote:

I use Excel to generate document forms instead of Word.
In many situations I prefer Excel for this purpose.

Is it possible to move the rows left or right independantly of each
other.
For example assumming I have text in row 2, is there anyway to slide
row
2
to the left of right horizontally independantly of the other rows
above
or
below it.
I know this is unlikely, but could it be done?

Thanks
Dermot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dermot

Stick with that resolution to never merge cells again.

They have their place I suppose, but can cause many problems when sorting,
filtering, copying, pasting.

Gord

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:47:42 +0100, "Ken Wright"
wrote:

LOL - You're welcome :-)

Regards
Ken.....................

"Dermot" wrote:

I use Excel to generate document forms instead of Word.
In many situations I prefer Excel for this purpose.

Is it possible to move the rows left or right independantly of each
other.
For example assumming I have text in row 2, is there anyway to slide
row
2
to the left of right horizontally independantly of the other rows
above
or
below it.
I know this is unlikely, but could it be done?

Thanks
Dermot

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gord - Hope all's well with you :-)

Regards
Ken....................

Dermot

Stick with that resolution to never merge cells again.

They have their place I suppose, but can cause many problems when sorting,
filtering, copying, pasting.

Gord

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:47:42 +0100, "Ken Wright"

wrote:

LOL - You're welcome :-)

Regards
Ken.....................

"Dermot" wrote:

I use Excel to generate document forms instead of Word.
In many situations I prefer Excel for this purpose.

Is it possible to move the rows left or right independantly of each
other.
For example assumming I have text in row 2, is there anyway to slide
row
2
to the left of right horizontally independantly of the other rows
above
or
below it.
I know this is unlikely, but could it be done?

Thanks
Dermot

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Ken

Getting on not too badly, thanks

Gord

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 00:00:31 +0100, "Ken Wright"
wrote:

Hi Gord - Hope all's well with you :-)

Regards
Ken....................

.. .
Dermot

Stick with that resolution to never merge cells again.

They have their place I suppose, but can cause many problems when sorting,
filtering, copying, pasting.

Gord

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:47:42 +0100, "Ken Wright"

wrote:

LOL - You're welcome :-)

Regards
Ken.....................

"Dermot" wrote:

I use Excel to generate document forms instead of Word.
In many situations I prefer Excel for this purpose.

Is it possible to move the rows left or right independantly of each
other.
For example assumming I have text in row 2, is there anyway to slide
row
2
to the left of right horizontally independantly of the other rows
above
or
below it.
I know this is unlikely, but could it be done?

Thanks
Dermot

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Gord
I have found that out the hard way!!
Cheers
Dermot :)

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Dermot

Stick with that resolution to never merge cells again.

They have their place I suppose, but can cause many problems when sorting,
filtering, copying, pasting.

Gord

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:47:42 +0100, "Ken Wright"
wrote:

LOL - You're welcome :-)

Regards