Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default auto save

Hi folks, sure appreciate that you are out there to help.
I have a workbook that I use to generate a new sequenced number that I want
to automatically save on closing everytime it is opened by a user. The
autosave add in forces me to select a time interval, I just want it to save
automatically on close so the new number is kept and not inadvertently used
again. any help?? thanks, larry
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Larry

You mention "auto save".

Which version of Excel are you running?

Versions later than 2000 do not have autosave, they have autorecovery which does
not make incremental saves as the older autosave did.

If your code is in the Thisworkbook beforeclose event it won't fire until you
close the workbook.

'your number generator code here
End Sub

The autosave should not generate a new number.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:37:01 -0700, Larry wrote:

Hi folks, sure appreciate that you are out there to help.
I have a workbook that I use to generate a new sequenced number that I want
to automatically save on closing everytime it is opened by a user. The
autosave add in forces me to select a time interval, I just want it to save
automatically on close so the new number is kept and not inadvertently used
again. any help?? thanks, larry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gordon,
I am using 2003, I went to tools add ins and there was an add in called
autosave, I enabled it and "autosave" is available as an optiomn. with this
enabled, each workbook opened had a module for autosave in the code section?
if it looks like a duck . . . It is labled autosave not autorecovery. A bit
of a mystery to me. I'll try adding your code to my workbook and see how she
fares. My deepest thanks for your time and help. larry

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gordon,
I tried the code but it changed the workbook so the opening msg did not
display nor would it generate my new number on opening;when I clicked the
close button, then
it showed the msg and generated the number. A bit awkward for my users. I
tried adding thisworkbook save before the end sub and it works well, it will
autosave as long as no other changes are made after the new number is
generated. Thanks for the help, I do appreciate you respo. larrynding

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Larry

Someone has added an older copy of the AUTOSAVE.XLA add-in to your setup.

No problem with that. I have the XL97 version on my 2003 setup and seems to
work fine.

It does not come with 2002 and 2003 and no way to get it from the 'net.

Gord