Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Referring to external workbook in Data Validation

I have 2 workbooks. In one (1), i want to use Data Validation to create
a drop down menu. The other (2) workbook has a range of data. In (1), I
defined a range so that it uses the data in (2). I named it book4, and
it refers to: =[Book4.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$B$4 . However, when i try to
enter "=book4" into Source in Data validation i get the error: You may
not use references to other workbooks or worksheets in Data Validation
Criteria".

But i clearly read that this is possible!

--
aposatsk
aposatsk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36709

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Check this out:
http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/Pages...alidation.html

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"aposatsk" wrote:

I have 2 workbooks. In one (1), i want to use Data Validation to create
a drop down menu. The other (2) workbook has a range of data. In (1), I
defined a range so that it uses the data in (2). I named it book4, and
it refers to: =[Book4.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$B$4 . However, when i try to
enter "=book4" into Source in Data validation i get the error: You may
not use references to other workbooks or worksheets in Data Validation
Criteria".

But i clearly read that this is possible!

--
aposatsk
aposatsk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36709
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=573743

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I did this to fix the problem. Please tell me if this method is correct
and fool-proof.

Book 1 is where my validation is. Book 2 is where my data is. In book
2, i highlighted the data and defined it as 'report'. In Book 1, i made
another Name (Define) which goes to Book2 and gets 'report'; i name this
"City". Then in data validation, i can enter City and it works!