Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Macro to Import Text

I am working on creating a macro that takes text data and import it into an
existing worksheet. To do this, I normally use the Import Data wizard.
Since I do this several times a day, I am trying to create a macro that will
allow me to select the text file (while I have my worksheet open) and then
select a cell placement for the data once the text files is created. I have
most of the code created, but cannot get it to pause at the file open dialog
box or the cell range box. Are there specific codes I need to use to get
this macro to do this? files into Excel
from Word several times a day.

With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:="Text Files (*.txt), *.txt", _
Destination:=Range("A2"))
.Name = "subcount"
.FieldNames = True
.RowNumbers = False
.FillAdjacentFormulas = False
.PreserveFormatting = True
.RefreshOnFileOpen = False
.RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells
.SavePassword = False
.SaveData = True
.AdjustColumnWidth = True
.RefreshPeriod = 0
.TextFilePromptOnRefresh = False
.TextFilePlatform = 437
.TextFileStartRow = 1
.TextFileParseType = xlDelimited
.TextFileTextQualifier = xlTextQualifierNone
.TextFileConsecutiveDelimiter = False
.TextFileTabDelimiter = False
.TextFileSemicolonDelimiter = False
.TextFileCommaDelimiter = False
.TextFileSpaceDelimiter = False
.TextFileOtherDelimiter = "|"
.TextFileColumnDataTypes = Array(1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1,
1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, _
1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
.TextFileTrailingMinusNumbers = True
.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
End With

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try

Sub test()
Dim X As Variant
X = Application.GetOpenFilename("Text Files (*.txt), *.txt")
If X = False Then Exit Sub
MsgBox "You picked " & CStr(X)
End Sub

See also
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm
for another solution on text import.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Miasha" skrev i melding
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for yor reply. My problem is where do I insert this code into my
existing macro that I created (see below). The macro I recorded uses the
Data, Import External Data, Import Data feature. I need it to pause to
select a file (my macro includes a file already, but this will change.) Then
I need it to pause so that I can select a specific cell (the macro shows that
I selected cell "A2) to put the data into.

Sub test4()
'
' test4 Macro
'

'
With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _
"TEXT;C:\Documents and Settings\jfitz\Desktop\subcount.txt",

"Harald Staff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You didn't quote where your original dialog was, so I didn't know where to
put it. But try

Dim X As Variant
X = Application.GetOpenFilename("Text Files (*.txt), *.txt")
If X = False Then Exit Sub
With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:=X, Destination:=Range("A2"))

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Miasha" skrev i melding

"Harald Staff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't use these querytables enough to be helpful, but looking at this line:

With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _
"TEXT;C:\Documents and Settings\jfitz\Desktop\subcount.txt",

would you need something like:

With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _
"TEXT;" & X,

(Untested, uncompiled, but it matches the other string <vbg.)

"Harald Staff" wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Absolutely.
(And I've informed the people in my Reply Typist Department that if Dave
spots another error in a post here, I'll have no choice but to let them go)

Best wishes Harald

"Dave Peterson" skrev i melding