Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tim Tim is offline

Default How to validate list data from a different workbook

I have a word document with an excel table in it. I wish to have a drop
down list in that table that refers to another excel workbook. I have
been following steps listed on
http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html.

I have a name range of data called 'Products'

I have a source list called 'MyList' with range name
=Product.xls!Products

When I go to my other worksheet and go into data - validation and type
in =MyList
I keep receiving error message: 'A named range you specified cannot be
found'. I am working with Excel 2003.

Could anyone offer any suggestions as to why it is not working.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tim,
What do you mean by "source" list ... have you defined the named
range "Mylist" in your w/sheet?

Insert==Name==Define=="MyList"==Refers to: Products.xls!Products

Works fine for me (XL2003) but fails with 'A named range you specified
cannot be
found' if "Mylist" is not a defined range.

"Tim" wrote:

I have a word document with an excel table in it. I wish to have a drop
down list in that table that refers to another excel workbook. I have
been following steps listed on
http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html.

I have a name range of data called 'Products'

I have a source list called 'MyList' with range name
=Product.xls!Products

When I go to my other worksheet and go into data - validation and type
in =MyList
I keep receiving error message: 'A named range you specified cannot be
found'. I am working with Excel 2003.

Could anyone offer any suggestions as to why it is not working.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is the Product.xls workbook open?

--
Debra Dalgleish