Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Combining text from different Cells IF

I messed around with this for a while, but it was too advanced for me i
was hoping someone could help me out!! I have one column data listing
one of several categories. For example one is legal expenses. For
some of these legal expenses i have a seperate column where i may or
may not include a memo. I want to design a function that will go down
the first column check if it says "legal expenses" then add take the
text from the adjacent column and combine it with the other memo's for
legal expenses! Dont know if its possible...?

Thanks!

--
henrymartz
henrymartz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37575

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Am I right that you want the memos for Legal Expenses to appear in one cell
together?

You can use the IF function to get the data next to a cell based upon
finding "Legal Expnese". And you can use the CONCATENATE function to combine
text from multiple cells. But to combine text from more that one cell (an
undetermined # and location of cells), would require a VBA macro. That would
be the only automated way.

Another option would be to filter the column for "Legal Expenses" , then
create a Concatenate formula for the memos that are present. Certainly a bit
more manual. ut it will work.

Let us know of the outcome.