Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nsv nsv is offline

Default Special letter or homemade font

This is perhaps on the edge of an Excel forum, but I try anyway: I often
work with statistics, where the average of a sample is designated as an
'X-overscore', ie. an X with a short horizontal line over it.
This character is not in the character map so if I need it for printing
results I must first create it in the Word Formula Editor and then
afterwards carry it over in Excel, which is rather bothersome.

I think I have once seen a method to create ones own letters in a font,
but I surely do not remember where. Anyone knows about this?

And by the way - no, I cannot use the greek letter µ, which denotes the
theoretical average of the whole population. It is not the same as a
sample average.

NSV

--
nsv
nsv's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26500

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you don't want to create the symbol:

http://www.gwinn.us/how-to/x-bar.html

Then acquire and install a font that contains the symbol.
--
Gary''s Student

"nsv" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you do not want to use the MS Equation editor, there are some alternatives:

xbar is Alt-0214 in the Math Ext font from
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wptoword.html

xbar is Alt-0120 in the MS Reference 1 font

Jerry

"nsv" wrote:

This is perhaps on the edge of an Excel forum, but I try anyway: I often
work with statistics, where the average of a sample is designated as an
'X-overscore', ie. an X with a short horizontal line over it.
This character is not in the character map so if I need it for printing
results I must first create it in the Word Formula Editor and then
afterwards carry it over in Excel, which is rather bothersome.

I think I have once seen a method to create ones own letters in a font,
but I surely do not remember where. Anyone knows about this?

And by the way - no, I cannot use the greek letter µ, which denotes the
theoretical average of the whole population. It is not the same as a
sample average.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nsv nsv is offline

Thanks for the suggestions - and of course it is "Equation Editor", not
"Formula Editor".

NSV

--
nsv
nsv's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26500
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=572135

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know if this will help you at all, but perhaps it's something
you may want to look into as a possible solution.

Microsoft Windows (well, Windows 2000 anyway) comes with a program
called Private Character Editor. You won't see it anywhere on the
Start Menu, however. For Windows 2000, it is located in
C:\WINNT\system32, and the file name is eudcedit.exe.

You can just double-click on it to open it. I've created shortcut to
my desktop, and of course, you can always put a shortcut to it on your
Start Menu as well.

For other versions of Windows, the path may be slightly different, but
mostly likely, it's in the system32 folder (or you could just to a
search for it).

Let me know if this helps you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nsv nsv is offline

Yes, I found the eudc, which is exactly the program I was thinking of. I
did create my x-bar and the result looks like this:  (now I
wonder what pops up on yours screens, perhaps it only works on my PC?)
If you can se it you will notice that it has fewer pixels than the
other fonts which makes it look a lot more crude, but it works.
If you know where to find more detailed user instructions for this
program please let me know. Could be fun to make your own WindDings
font...