Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ed ed is offline

Default I need to protect individual cells in Excel like Supercalc did.

In the cells you want protected go to the Format Menu and
Format/Cells/Protect and/or Hidden You can mark as many cells as you
want in one operaation. Then protect the worksheet. Only the
cells you formatted will be Hidden/Protected.

ed

cells in my Excel spreadsheet. The old SuperCalc
allowed me to protect my formulas so i could not accidentally overwrite or
delete them.

I've tried many times to figure it out. it only allows me to protect a
whole file. this is usless to me.

Please change this feature or let me know how.
Thanks.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To all 3 replies. Thanks for the instruction. I will try this today. Hope
it works. But it sure was easier in SuperCalc. All you did was select the
cell/s, then click "protect". That was it.
This is like traveling from Houston to L.A. by way of NY. <g
PS: to add to the sheet each week now, do I have to unprotect the file each
time then protect again?
"ed" wrote:

In the cells you want protected go to the Format Menu and
Format/Cells/Protect and/or Hidden You can mark as many cells as you
want in one operaation. Then protect the worksheet. Only the
cells you formatted will be Hidden/Protected.

ed

cells in my Excel spreadsheet. The old SuperCalc
allowed me to protect my formulas so i could not accidentally overwrite or
delete them.

I've tried many times to figure it out. it only allows me to protect a
whole file. this is usless to me.

Please change this feature or let me know how.
Thanks.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To start with...............you are not protecting the file, just the worksheet.

Second of all, Excel is NOT Supercalc so forget most of what you learned and
work with what Excel has to offer.

If you want a click method of protecting cells, ToolsCustomizeCommandsFormat.

Scroll down until you find the Lock Cells button with the PadLock. Drag it to
your toolbar.

This toggles lock/unlock for seleted cells.

Also under CommandsTools find the Protect Sheet button and drag it up to
toolbar.

To add to the sheet each week you will most likely have to unprotect the sheet
to unlock more cells if that is you wish.

And one more sad note: Excel internal protection is quite weak and passwords can
be cracked easily.

Assume the protection is for accidental overwriting of formulas and not to hide
sensitive material and you will do fine.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"ed" wrote:

In the cells you want protected go to the Format Menu and
Format/Cells/Protect and/or Hidden You can mark as many cells as you
want in one operaation. Then protect the worksheet. Only the
cells you formatted will be Hidden/Protected.

ed

cells in my Excel spreadsheet. The old SuperCalc
allowed me to protect my formulas so i could not accidentally overwrite or
delete them.

I've tried many times to figure it out. it only allows me to protect a
whole file. this is usless to me.

Please change this feature or let me know how.
Thanks.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well if there is a toolbar toggle switch I can activate, then that is GREAT!
I should have joined this group years ago.

I like Excel better than Supercalc. However, I was just surprised that
Excel didn't have the feature when something as antiquated as SuperCalc did.

Thanks for the tip.