stuckfly

Default Frozen panes in Excel should stay put when using autofilter.

Using Excel 2003. If I freeze panes in a list (so I can see column and/or
row titles), then apply autofilter, then scroll around the panes are
unfrozen. I can go back with the autofilter on and refreeze panes and this
works until I change the autofilter criteria. Those panes are a pain!
Gord Dibben

stuck

I cannot replicate this behavior on my installation of Excel 2003.

My frozen panes stay frozen.

At what cell location are you freezing the panes?

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:13:04 -0800, "stuckfly"
wrote:

Using Excel 2003. If I freeze panes in a list (so I can see column and/or
row titles), then apply autofilter, then scroll around the panes are
unfrozen. I can go back with the autofilter on and refreeze panes and this
works until I change the autofilter criteria. Those panes are a pain!

Dave Peterson

It sounds to me like you applied Window|Freeze panes to that filtered list.

If that's possible, remove the freeze panes, unfilter, apply the freeze panes
just under the header and see if that helps.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Auntie

I have a similar kind of problem.

This is my situation:

Excel 2003 SP2
worksheet with Autofilter set in Row 1
Shared file
Shared file protected
Freeze pane for heading (Row 1)
File saved in a filtered state

The file works fine until I save it in a filtered state. When I reopen the
file, I can unfilter the worksheet, but the freeze pane boundary moves from
just below the heading to just above the first item that was filtered.

I create these files once a year for a large number of people. I didn't have
this problem last year, but I don't remember which version of Excel I was
using to create the files, probably Excel 2000.

I have created and distributed about 50 such files in the last 2 weeks to
distribute to unsophisticated computer users. What a pain to have to now
teach them how to deal with this bug.

Do you have any idea what the problem might be, or how I can prevent it from
happening?

Thanks so much!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Auntie

Yes, of course, all the rows were visible when I froze the header row. Then I
save the file, close it and email it to the recipient. If the file comes back
unfiltered, all works well.

If the file comes back to me saved in a filtered state, the frozen section
encompasses all the rows down to the first filtered row. This didn't happen
last year in a previous version of Excel. And believe me, the people I am
sending these files to don't have a clue about how to freeze or unfreeze
panes. And it's happening too consistently and often to be a fluke. When I
tried it on my own computer, the same thing happened.

Auntie wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SCSC

I am having the same problem. I have 4 different customized views, and when
I flip from one view to another, my freeze panes screw up. I've tried
setting my freeze pane up while all rows/columns are in view and there are no
filters set, and THEN setting up my customized views, but things are still
wonky. If I ever figure it out, I'll let you know.

stuckfly wrote:

Using Excel 2003. If I freeze panes in a list (so I can see column and/or
row titles), then apply autofilter, then scroll around the panes are
unfrozen. I can go back with the autofilter on and refreeze panes and this
works until I change the autofilter criteria. Those panes are a pain!

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JM

I've had a similar problem in Excel 2000 and 2003 with shared files that have
autofiltered sheets. The frozen pane "jumps" down the sheet for some or all
sheets that have an autofilter applied. The seems to occur most often when I
re-open a file, but also can happen when I come back to a file that has been
sitting open and unused on my desktop for a long time. [This happens even if
no one else has accessed the shared file, so may be related to some autosave
function?] Also, the pane "jmping" happens no matter what settings I have
chosen on the Advanced tab of the Shared Worksheet command.

Is there a macro that could "show all" for all filters on all sheets in a
file which could run automarically at the time a file is closed [or saved or
autosaved]? This might solve the problem of the jumping panes.
--
JM