Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default document recovery

my computer was accidently swithced off when working on excel ..on rebooting
when offered to open last saved version i pressed no and i ended up losing
lot of data. is there any way to get back to the last saved version..
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sounds like you were using xl2002+ and had autorecovery turned on.

The good news is that autorecovery worked and caught the "crash".

The bad news is that once you say no to that prompt, the file that excel used is
deleted.

I bet you've closed excel and reopened to see if the prompt would come back--it
didn't.

Sorry.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi all,
I have the same problem. All of my excel file on my PC will not open. When
I create and save a new file and then try to open it later, it will not let
me. It says "cannot read file". How do I solve this?

Thank you.

Avaya

sree wrote:

my computer was accidently swithced off when working on excel ..on rebooting
when offered to open last saved version i pressed no and i ended up losing
lot of data. is there any way to get back to the last saved version..

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think you'll have to do some detective work.

Try opening the file on other pc's? Does it work there?

Does it happen when you start excel in safe mode?
close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe
file|open yourworkbook
and test it out.

Does it only happen on that pc?

Are you saving locally or to a network drive?

Do you have antivirus software enabled?

There's lots of things that could be sticking their ugly heads in the way. I
think you'll have to do some detective work--and maybe you'll get lucky and find
the culprit.

Any chance that you or someone else is opening the excel file in MSWord and
saving it as an MSWord file? This will cause the problem you describe, too.