Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Slower scrolling when selecting rows more than a screen full.

In MS Excel, when trying to select rows which is more than a screen full, the
scrolling should go MUCH MUCH slower so that you can control how much you
select, rather than suddenly selecting the 10,000 rows.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

As you drag down, position the pointer near the sheet tabs, and the
scrolling will be fairly slow.
If you move the pointer lower, near the status bar, the scrolling will
be faster.

One way to avoid the problem is to select the first cell.
Then, use the scroll bar to move down the sheet until you can see the
last cell that you want to select
Hold the Shift key, and click on the last cell

Stewart wrote:
In MS Excel, when trying to select rows which is more than a screen full, the
scrolling should go MUCH MUCH slower so that you can control how much you
select, rather than suddenly selecting the 10,000 rows.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for your tips Debra.

Using the select top - scroll down - shift + select bottom is definitely
the safest way. That is what I will use in future.

Regarding the fast scrolling, the ability to control the speed by mouse
position is
1) not very clear
2) requires very fine mouse control - not useful for a laptop finger pad, or
those with unusual mouse arrangements for disability or RSI reasons
3) is just too easy to get wrong, and awkward to reverse

Ok, so it's not like a major bug, but definitely inconvenient and frustrating.

I suggest that rather than mouse position alone (near sheet tabs or status
bar), the amount of time your mouse cursor is lower down should also be a
factor.
Also, it is not the speed as such, but the acceleration (rate of change of
scrolling speed) which is the problem.
Finally, if you over-shoot, there is the instinctive reaction to move the
mouse up the screen quickly and suddenly you have scrolled back to the top of
the screen again!

Stewart
London, UK

Stewart wrote:
In MS Excel, when trying to select rows which is more than a screen full, the
scrolling should go MUCH MUCH slower so that you can control how much you
select, rather than suddenly selecting the 10,000 rows.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Debra provided good tips for this, in my opinion. That said, I do agree that
the scrolling function when selecting entire rows is very difficult to
control at times. There should be an easier way to control the speed.

-Matt