Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default saving .csv formated file

I have a .csv formated file that should be modified. After any modfication or
any changes of this file I cannot save it in .csv format. The message come up
saying that the .csv file may contain featires that are not compatible with
csv. If I still save it it being saved as .csv format, but the file is messed
up.
How would I save the file so it would be compatible?
Thank you,
Please describe in detailes as I am not a pro.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Shmuel

What do you mean by 'the file is messed up'? Saving it as a CSV will just
take the data in each cell and save it all, separated by commas - with no
formatting. This means you can open the file in just about any program -
including Notepad.

Andy.

"Shmuel" wrote in message
I have a .csv formated file that should be modified. After any modfication
or
any changes of this file I cannot save it in .csv format. The message come
up
saying that the .csv file may contain featires that are not compatible
with
csv. If I still save it it being saved as .csv format, but the file is
messed
up.
How would I save the file so it would be compatible?
Thank you,
Please describe in detailes as I am not a pro.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the changes you made to the csv file were adding formulas, changing
formats, adding objects, etc., you will lose those things when you save it as
csv. Is that what you mean by messed up? That's just the nature of csv
files. It's basically text data separated by commas. So if your changes
were anything other than typing in values, you'll lose those changes upon
saving to csv.

-Simon

"Shmuel" wrote:

I have a .csv formated file that should be modified. After any modfication or
any changes of this file I cannot save it in .csv format. The message come up
saying that the .csv file may contain featires that are not compatible with
csv. If I still save it it being saved as .csv format, but the file is messed
up.
How would I save the file so it would be compatible?
Thank you,
Please describe in detailes as I am not a pro.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am importing the .csv file into another software. Before I make any changed
in the file it is being imported fine (each cell of the file goes to the
right position into the software I am importing to). But after I make any
small shanges in the file (like change one number) and save it (after promt
comes up with the worning that the saved file would not have feature of csv
file) the imported file does not place the data in the right position on the
software.

"Shmuel" wrote in message
I have a .csv formated file that should be modified. After any modfication
or
any changes of this file I cannot save it in .csv format. The message come
up
saying that the .csv file may contain featires that are not compatible
with
csv. If I still save it it being saved as .csv format, but the file is
messed
up.
How would I save the file so it would be compatible?
Thank you,
Please describe in detailes as I am not a pro.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If it's small changes you need to make, I think you're better off using
Notepad to edit it rather than using Excel. Excel is known to automatically
remove leading zeros, and sometimes merge consecutive empty columns upon
opening.

-Simon