Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Using Excel Grid as Office Map - Find Empty Desks?

Someone took the time to map our office using an Excel spreadsheet -
formatting grid lines and typing desk numbers in each cell that represents a
desk (we have about 1000 cubicles on two floors). Seperately, I also maintain
a database of desk assignments.

If I export the list of occupied desks to Excel, can anyone suggest a method
to do some sort of formatting change to the map to see where occupied desks
are (or empty desks for that matter)?

I'm picturing a VLOOKUP formula, but have been unable to find a way to
change the format of the Lookup_Value (the cell representing the desk on the
map). Perhaps there's a macro-based solution?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A macro sounds like a good idea.

I would suggest recording one that uses FIND to locate a typical desk
in your list and then applies a coloured pattern format. This macro can
then be put into a loop to perform the task sequentially on all the
desks.

--
mrice

Research Scientist with many years of spreadsheet development experience
mrice's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10931
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=564699