Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Unprotect workbook accidentally?

Hi, I have a client who created a workbook with a hidden, password protected
sheet included. She sent it out to a client of hers who then faxed back the
worksheets, including the password protected hidden sheet. This person
somehow unprotected the sheet. She claims this person is a novice user who
hardly knows his way around a computer. Is it possible to somehow
"accidentally" unprotect a workbook? Thanks for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

Worksheet protection should really only be considered a means to keep people
from accidently changing things. It can easily be removed:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

"jped" wrote:

Hi, I have a client who created a workbook with a hidden, password protected
sheet included. She sent it out to a client of hers who then faxed back the
worksheets, including the password protected hidden sheet. This person
somehow unprotected the sheet. She claims this person is a novice user who
hardly knows his way around a computer. Is it possible to somehow
"accidentally" unprotect a workbook? Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have read that using Hotmail to send Excel workbooks can remove the sheet
protection.

Could this be the case here?

I can't replicate using Outlook and have no Hotmail account to test.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:42:01 -0700, jped wrote:

Hi, I have a client who created a workbook with a hidden, password protected
sheet included. She sent it out to a client of hers who then faxed back the
worksheets, including the password protected hidden sheet. This person
somehow unprotected the sheet. She claims this person is a novice user who
hardly knows his way around a computer. Is it possible to somehow
"accidentally" unprotect a workbook? Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

She is using Outlook as well. I can't replicate it either. I understand
that it's easy to unprotect the worksheet is you're trying to do it. I'm
beginnging to think maybe this user isn't as inexperienced as she thinks...
Thanks for your response and let me know if you think of anything else.
Thanks!

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

I have read that using Hotmail to send Excel workbooks can remove the sheet
protection.

Could this be the case here?

I can't replicate using Outlook and have no Hotmail account to test.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:42:01 -0700, jped wrote:

Hi, I have a client who created a workbook with a hidden, password protected
sheet included. She sent it out to a client of hers who then faxed back the
worksheets, including the password protected hidden sheet. This person
somehow unprotected the sheet. She claims this person is a novice user who
hardly knows his way around a computer. Is it possible to somehow
"accidentally" unprotect a workbook? Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

FWIW - I tried sending a file through hotmail and it did not remove the sheet
protection. Is your client sure the worksheet protection was removed? Just
because the worksheet was unhidden and faxed back does not mean it's
unprotected. Were changes made? Also protection only applies to cells that
are locked (Format/Cells/Protection - Locked).

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

I have read that using Hotmail to send Excel workbooks can remove the sheet
protection.

Could this be the case here?

I can't replicate using Outlook and have no Hotmail account to test.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:42:01 -0700, jped wrote:

Hi, I have a client who created a workbook with a hidden, password protected
sheet included. She sent it out to a client of hers who then faxed back the
worksheets, including the password protected hidden sheet. This person
somehow unprotected the sheet. She claims this person is a novice user who
hardly knows his way around a computer. Is it possible to somehow
"accidentally" unprotect a workbook? Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

jped Wrote:
Hi, I have a client who created a workbook with a hidden, password
protected
sheet included. She sent it out to a client of hers who then faxed
back the
worksheets, including the password protected hidden sheet. This
person
somehow unprotected the sheet. She claims this person is a novice user
who
hardly knows his way around a computer. Is it possible to somehow
"accidentally" unprotect a workbook? Thanks for your help!Hi jped,

I may be missing something here but just password protecting a
worksheet and hidding it,
does not stop you from going to "FormatSheetUnhide" and unhiding it.

Unless its "xlSheetVeryHidden" with code.

Am i wrong?

--
Desert Piranha

Desert Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28934
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=564507

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No changes were made to the hidden sheet. Her main concern was that the
sheet was seen at all. It has some sensitive information they use after the
client fills out the other sheets. How would her client be able to print out
the hidden sheet? I can only get to it if I enter the password to unprotect
it, then unhide it. FormatSheetUnhide is grayed out until I enter the
password. Is there a way to view or print out a hidden sheet without
entering the password? Thanks!

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

I have read that using Hotmail to send Excel workbooks can remove the sheet
protection.

Could this be the case here?

I can't replicate using Outlook and have no Hotmail account to test.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:42:01 -0700, jped wrote:

Hi, I have a client who created a workbook with a hidden, password protected
sheet included. She sent it out to a client of hers who then faxed back the
worksheets, including the password protected hidden sheet. This person
somehow unprotected the sheet. She claims this person is a novice user who
hardly knows his way around a computer. Is it possible to somehow
"accidentally" unprotect a workbook? Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When I go to FormatSheetUnhide without entering the password, this is
grayed out. Once I enter the password, it's active. Is there a way to view
or print the hidden worksheet without entering a password? Thanks!

"Desert Piranha" wrote:

jped Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

FormatSheetUnhide etc. being grayed out indicates to me that you have the
Workbook Protection enabled, not Worksheet Protection.

Worksheet Protection still allows sheets to be unhidden as Piranha states.

Maybe both are protected.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Desert Piranha" wrote:

jped Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK, Workbook Protection is enabled. Once I unprotect the workbook, then I
can unhide and edit the hidden worksheet. Sorry for any confusion. Is there
anyway to get around the workbook protection to view/print the hidden