Peter Frank

Default Filter two columns with criterion applying to one or the other?

Hi,

I am looking for a solution to the following filtering problem:
I have two adjacent columns, so using a filter for both of them is no
problem. But what I want to do and don't know how to do is this:
I want to filter for values greater than x (a certain number, in my
case 5000) in any of the two columns. I can filter both columns for x
greater than 5000 but that filters out more than I want because there
may be some cells with a value greater than 5000 in only one of the
two columns.

Is there a solution to this problem (using Excel alone or an add-on)?

Peter
JulieD

Hi Peter

you can use the advanced filter to do this ... insert 4 blank rows above
your data range and copy the headings of your data to the first of these
blank rows, in the first column that you want to filter on, under the
heading type
5000

now click on the next line down (ie row 3) under the second column that you
want to filter on and type
5000

now click back in your data area and choose data / filter /advanced filter
the list range should be automatically selected for you
click in the criteria range line and then select the heading range and the
two lines with the criteria in them (e.g. A1:D3)

click the OK button.

Hope this helps
Cheers
JulieD