gb_S49

Default Pie Chart Data Labels

Is there a way to add more information to a pie chart data label other than
manually edit, as this disables the link to source aspect.
John Mansfield

Yes,

You might want to check out these resources:

John Walkenbach's Chart Labeler:

http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/charttools.htm

Rob Bobey's Chart Labeler:

http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm

A VBA routine to add custom labels:

http://www.pdbook.com/index.php/exce..._chart_labels/

Finally, you can select the individual data label by clicking on it until it
looks like there is a box around it. Go to the Standard Toolbar and hit
Format - Selected Data Labels - Number Tab - Custom option. Enter
something like "this label = 5" in quotations. This will custom format the
individual label.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"gb_S49" wrote:

Is there a way to add more information to a pie chart data label other than
manually edit, as this disables the link to source aspect.

gb_S49

Thanks for the info.
I did try the edit labels but when the data is changed the chart label does
not reflect change.
Out of interest, as I share my charts etc. would charttools have to be
loaded to all pc's?

"gb_S49" wrote:

Is there a way to add more information to a pie chart data label other than
manually edit, as this disables the link to source aspect.

John Mansfield

Forgot to add, you can also click inside of the individual data label and
then add a reference to a cell. For example, you can click inside of the
data label and add a reference like this to the formula bar:

=Sheet1!$A$3

Whatever you enter into cell A3 will be reflected in the data label.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"gb_S49" wrote:

Is there a way to add more information to a pie chart data label other than
manually edit, as this disables the link to source aspect.

John Mansfield

No, the chart tool add-ins only have to be installed on the machine in which
you are working to add the labels. I forgot to add another way to customize
data labels . . .

You can also click inside of the individual data label and
then add a reference to a cell. For example, you can click inside of the
data label and add a reference like this to the formula bar:

=Sheet1!$A$3

Whatever you enter into cell A3 will be reflected in the data label.

This method will allow the data labels to be tied to a cell. The label will
update when the cell value is changed.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield