Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
IgorM

Default X - axis labels

I have a chart with years on the x-axis. The data starts with 1983, but I
would like the first x-axis label to be 1984 or 1985. How can I do this,
without simply getting rid of the 1983 data point? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Do you want to hide the label but keep the data point? Use a custom number
format like
[=1983]"";General
for the axis labels.

Do you want to hide the point too? Change the source data range of the chart
so it starts one row (or column) later.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"IgorM" wrote in message
I have a chart with years on the x-axis. The data starts with 1983, but I
would like the first x-axis label to be 1984 or 1985. How can I do this,
without simply getting rid of the 1983 data point? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
IgorM

Thank you, but I think I need to explain my problem a little differently.
Given a data set from 1983 to 2000, I would like the x-axis labels to be
1985, 1990, 1995, 2000. I know how to make Excel only show every 5th year,
but I don't know how to make it start with 1985 rather than 1983 without
deleting the 1983 and 1984 data points.

"IgorM" wrote in message
I have a chart with years on the x-axis. The data starts with 1983, but I
would like the first x-axis label to be 1984 or 1985. How can I do this,
without simply getting rid of the 1983 data point? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Excel starts its labels with the first value along the axis. My technique
hides the first one and starts with the second. But you want to start the
labels at a different place. Excl won't do it with regular axis labels, but
you can recruit other chart elements to help:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

- Jon
-------