Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
ceemo

Default Bar Graph

I have a bar graph and woulld like to have one of the bars change colour
depending on the value of a cell (1 - Green, 2 - Orange, 3 - Red). I
dont have a lot of experiance when it comes to coding graphs.

Please can you help,

--
ceemo
ceemo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10650

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

No need for code if you use some worksheet formula and multiple series.
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...nalChart1.html

Cheers
Andy

ceemo wrote:
I have a bar graph and woulld like to have one of the bars change colour
depending on the value of a cell (1 - Green, 2 - Orange, 3 - Red). I
dont have a lot of experiance when it comes to coding graphs.

Please can you help,

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
HEK

make a so-called conditional chart. This can be automated by making columns
of yr data for each colour you want (in yr example 3 columns), and putting an
if-statement that writes the value if the condition is right for the colour
or #NA() if the value falls outside the conditions. Make sure that the value
always is displayed in one of the three columns. Plot the cells with the
IF-statements as three different series.
HTH,
Henk

"ceemo" wrote:

I have a bar graph and woulld like to have one of the bars change colour
depending on the value of a cell (1 - Green, 2 - Orange, 3 - Red). I
dont have a lot of experiance when it comes to coding graphs.

Please can you help,

--
ceemo
ceemo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10650
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=551156

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
ceemo

wow the link (above) is really handy but i cant work out where the
colours have been linkes to the criteria ?

Anyone know?

--
ceemo
ceemo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10650
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=551156

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

If I understand your question the actual colour of each bar series would
have to be set manually.

ceemo wrote:
wow the link (above) is really handy but i cant work out where the
colours have been linkes to the criteria ?

Anyone know?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
ceemo

hmm but when i change the value of the random values the cell colour
automatically changes? How is this possible if the colours havent been
predifined for each criteria range?

--
ceemo
ceemo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10650
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=551156

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

the cell colours change?? Are you talking about conditional formatting
of cells now rather than the chart columns?

ceemo wrote:
hmm but when i change the value of the random values the cell colour
automatically changes? How is this possible if the colours havent been
predifined for each criteria range?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
ceemo

Yes thats right i would like to know more about the conditional
formatting of charts.

I have a chart with two bars and i would like the second bar to change
to red, orange or green depending on the value of a cell

ceemo 'I have a bar graph and woulld like to have one of the bars
change colour depending on the value of a cell (1 - Green, 2 - Orange,
3 - Red). I dont have a lot of experiance when it comes to coding
graphs.'

--
ceemo
ceemo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10650
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=551156

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Sorry I'm really confused now.
The link I posted demonstrates how to set up formula in cells to react
to the original chart data.
You then create a chart with these multiple data series. Of course you
will need to manually set the colour of each series in the chart. But
once set up any edits to the original chart data will automatically be
updated within the chart.

Try another explanation, this time by Ed Ferrero, Conditional Chart
Formatting.
http://www.edferrero.com/charting.aspx

Cheers
Andy