Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
manxman

Default How to draw a line on a chart, and have it move with the chart?

I am able to draw simple, colored lines on a chart, but when I move the
chart, as I do every week to accomodate new data on the page, the lines stay
where they were originally drawn. In other words, the lines seem attached to
the undelying worksheet, not to the chart itself. Is there a way to draw
lines that are attached to the chart?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Kelly O'Day

Manxman:

To attach a line to a chart, first select the chart. you know it's selected
when solid squares show up on edge of chart box.

Now you can draw your line and Excel will place in chart.

If you don't select chart first, Excel places on worksheet, not chart.

I have simple tutorials that show you how to add vertical, horizontal lines
that can be updated and will automatically adjust as your data changes. You
may want to check this post.

http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_horizontal_line.htm

Kelly

"manxman" wrote in message
I am able to draw simple, colored lines on a chart, but when I move the
chart, as I do every week to accomodate new data on the page, the lines
stay
where they were originally drawn. In other words, the lines seem attached
the undelying worksheet, not to the chart itself. Is there a way to draw
lines that are attached to the chart?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
manxman

I love it when it's simple. Thank you Kelley. Your website looks great, but
what I'm doing here is simply adding a handdrawn colored line, the eqivilent
of a note.

"manxman" wrote in message
I am able to draw simple, colored lines on a chart, but when I move the
chart, as I do every week to accomodate new data on the page, the lines
stay
where they were originally drawn. In other words, the lines seem attached
the undelying worksheet, not to the chart itself. Is there a way to draw
lines that are attached to the chart?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Kelly,

I am having the same issue - but I am not able to complete the Horizontal
Line.

I set the data up as you stated in your tutorial - in my case I have a month
worth of data showing daily population on the chart. I want a horizontal line
that states that the Maximum # of inmates to be 513 - when I put in the
Horizontal Line data and follow your instructions it only puts in 2 days
worth of data at 513?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

"manxman" wrote in message
I am able to draw simple, colored lines on a chart, but when I move the
chart, as I do every week to accomodate new data on the page, the lines
stay
where they were originally drawn. In other words, the lines seem attached
the undelying worksheet, not to the chart itself. Is there a way to draw
lines that are attached to the chart?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Sounds like you are not using a xy scatter chart so only the first 2
categories are being filled.

Depending on the rest of your data you can do one of the following;

- change chart type to xy-scatter
- change axis type to Time Series
- use the max value for each of the data points you already have

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Gladys:

if you send me your workbook, I'll set up the horizontal line.

be sure to correct my anti-spam e-mail address be removing extra characters.

**remove_these**

...Kelly