Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
plum

Default Horiz axis major ticks show [1913, 1923, 1933, ...]

I'm using Office 2000 and have a problem labeling major ticks on the
horizontal axis (years).

My dataset starts on an "off" year, 1913 (i.e. not a turn-of-the-decade
like 1910 or 1960). I want to show labels only for decadal years.

However, I can't seem to get the major ticks to work; instead of 1910,
1920, 1930, ... it throws up 1913, 1923, 1933, ... It's not a
meaningless result, but it doesn't look good on the eye.

Am I missing some setting?

:-plum

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
David Biddulph

"plum" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm using Office 2000 and have a problem labeling major ticks on the
horizontal axis (years).

My dataset starts on an "off" year, 1913 (i.e. not a turn-of-the-decade
like 1910 or 1960). I want to show labels only for decadal years.

However, I can't seem to get the major ticks to work; instead of 1910,
1920, 1930, ... it throws up 1913, 1923, 1933, ... It's not a
meaningless result, but it doesn't look good on the eye.

Am I missing some setting?

What type of chart are you using? If XY (scatter), use Format Axis/ Scale,
& set the minimum to 1910.
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
plum

I'm using several different chart types, including line and
histographs. Setting the minimum to 1910 would exclude data points
before that year. Admittedly, there are only a few of them, but for the
sake of completeness, it would be preferable to include them.

I'm thinking this is a limitation of Excel 2000. Is there a plug-in
(add-in? add-on?) that I can download to correct this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

To work around the problem of axis labeling it is probably easier to do
label it yourself.

See Jon Peltier's page on arbitary axes.
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

Cheers
Andy

plum wrote:
I'm using several different chart types, including line and
histographs. Setting the minimum to 1910 would exclude data points
before that year. Admittedly, there are only a few of them, but for the
sake of completeness, it would be preferable to include them.

I'm thinking this is a limitation of Excel 2000. Is there a plug-in
(add-in? add-on?) that I can download to correct this?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info