Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
David DeRolph

Default Can not add user-defined charts

Using Excel 2003. Based on a PC Magazine online article, Down with Ugly
Excel Charts, at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1954130,00.asp, I
should be able to add user-defined charts. However, when I follow the
procedure explained there, I do not have an Add button on the Custom Types
screen. My screen simply looks like this:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dderolph/chart1.JPG. Why do I not have the
option to add user-defined charts? How can I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

That's because you have not followed the instructions.
Your screen shot is of step 1 in the chart wizard.

Once you have the chart formated as required right click the chart area
and from the menu pick Chart Type.
The dialog will be very similar but the caption will be 'Chart Type'.
Now follow the steps of Custom Type, User Defined and the Add button
should appear.

Here is another page by Jon Peltier on the subject.
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...stomTypes.html

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
HEK

The procedure described there should work. It looks like you overlooked a
step. The Add.. button should appear in the left-under corner, but it is
context-sensitive, i.e. only appears when in the Custom Types tab, the
User-defined radio button is selected in "Select from".
GL,
Henk

"David DeRolph" wrote:

Using Excel 2003. Based on a PC Magazine online article, Down with Ugly
Excel Charts, at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1954130,00.asp, I
should be able to add user-defined charts. However, when I follow the
procedure explained there, I do not have an Add button on the Custom Types
screen. My screen simply looks like this:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dderolph/chart1.JPG. Why do I not have the
option to add user-defined charts? How can I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
David DeRolph

I did follow the instructions in the referenced article but I now realize
those instructions are erroneous. The article says to start the procedure
from the Insert menu. That's what I did, and it does not work.

Now, after carefully reading the info in Excel's Help for "Add or delete a
user-defined custom chart type", I understand I must either right click on
the chart or go to Chart, on the main menu, and select Chart Type, Custom
Types, select User-defined, etc. And, that does work; it displays the Add
button.

David DeRolph wrote:
Using Excel 2003. Based on a PC Magazine online article, Down with Ugly
Excel Charts, at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1954130,00.asp, I
should be able to add user-defined charts. However, when I follow the
procedure explained there, I do not have an Add button on the Custom Types
screen. My screen simply looks like this:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dderolph/chart1.JPG. Why do I not have the
option to add user-defined charts? How can I fix this?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Sorry David, you are right.
I incorrectly read only the part "Select Chart | Chart Type", which is
correct, and not the rest of the sentence.

Anyway glad your sorted.

Cheers
Andy