Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
mrpewty

Default how do I break the y axis in a chart

I have a column chart with 0-400 on the Y axis, and only two or three columns
out of about fifteen that go to around 400, with the rest staying down below
ten. I want to put those little squiggle breaks in the long columns and on
the Y-Axis that tell people that the column is a lot longer than shown, but
has been shortened for convenience sake and to show up the shorter columns.
Does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Here's a technique, as well as links to a couple others:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"mrpewty" wrote in message
I have a column chart with 0-400 on the Y axis, and only two or three
columns
out of about fifteen that go to around 400, with the rest staying down
below
ten. I want to put those little squiggle breaks in the long columns and on
the Y-Axis that tell people that the column is a lot longer than shown,
but
has been shortened for convenience sake and to show up the shorter
columns.
Does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I have the same problem and found this link to be quite a long process and
for a very dated version of Excel. Any tips for creating a break in the
verticle axis with 2007? Thanks.

"mrpewty" wrote in message
I have a column chart with 0-400 on the Y axis, and only two or three
columns
out of about fifteen that go to around 400, with the rest staying down
below
ten. I want to put those little squiggle breaks in the long columns and on
the Y-Axis that tell people that the column is a lot longer than shown,
but
has been shortened for convenience sake and to show up the shorter
columns.
Does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The protocol works in Excel 2007. Things haven't advanced that far in ten
years. The process is long because it requires a fairly major workaround,
and there isn't much you can do to shorten it.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.