Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
mjzocc

Default Which version of Excel can plot in POLAR COORDINATES?

I need to plot equations expressed in (r, theta) coordinates, WITHOUT first
converting them to Cartesion (x,y) coordinates. Can anyone advise if Excel
has this capability - if so, I certainly have not been able to find
it!.....Thanx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

It is not built in. You will have to use formula to convert them.

I have an addin that may make things easier. The page also includes some
links to alternative solutions.
http://www.andypope.info/charts/polarplot.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
mjzocc

mjzocc wrote:
I need to plot equations expressed in (r, theta) coordinates, WITHOUT first
converting them to Cartesion (x,y) coordinates. Can anyone advise if Excel
has this capability - if so, I certainly have not been able to find
it!.....Thanx

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Hi Andy - thanx for the reply - but I still have some questions...

I gather that there is no built in Excel polar coordinate plot capabilty -
you mention that a conversion formula is necessary - are you say that the (r,
theta) point must first be converted to x,y coordiantes, and then plotted?

Or let me ask it another way - how did you generate the underlying polar
coordinate grid ?

Regards......mjzocc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Yes you need to convert the (r,theta) values into (x,y)

X: =COS(RADIANS(theta))* r
Y: =SIN(RADIANS(theta))* r

If you do not want to use helper columns for this you can use formula in
Named ranges.

Cheers
Andy