Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Alison

Default Missing menu bar when chart is selected

I have a spreadsheet that I have been using for a couple of years but now
when I select a chart I lose my menu bar (file, edit, view etc). Also, I am
no longer able to right mouse click. If I select elsewhere on the sheet my
menu and mouse operations returns. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I
have tried resetting my worksheet menu bar by selecting tools/customise
toolbars but this doesn't help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Greg Wilson

When you activate a chart the Worksheet Menu Bar (WMB) normally disappears
and the Chart Menu Bar (CMB) takes its place. The CMB looks exactly the same
except that it has a Chart menu in place of the Data menu. There is an
illusion that the WMB remains and only the menu item changes.

I'm guessing that the CMB has been docked, say, at the bottom of the window,
and so when the WMB disappears and the CMB takes its place (at the bottom
instead), it looks as though the WMB just disappeared. Alternatively, perhaps
the CMB has been disabled. To my knowledge, you can only disable it
programmatically:
Application.CommandBars("Chart Menu Bar").Enabled = False

As for not being able to right mouse click, can you be more specific. I
suspect this has to do with the new protection features available that I'm
not up to date with. I'm running xl2000.

Regards,
Greg

"Alison" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I have been using for a couple of years but now
when I select a chart I lose my menu bar (file, edit, view etc). Also, I am
no longer able to right mouse click. If I select elsewhere on the sheet my
menu and mouse operations returns. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I
have tried resetting my worksheet menu bar by selecting tools/customise
toolbars but this doesn't help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Alison

Thanks Greg.
The CMB was not on the bottom in fact it must have been disabled by someone
elses program at some stage. But you gave me anough information to go into
the VB immediate screen and re-enable it. However, as for the mouse it is
still not working. I am guessing that the same program may have disabled it.
Is there a VB immediate commande to re-enable it. When a chart is selected I
right mouse click to bring up all the options for the chart and can then
change the chart definitions. I don't believe this is a new feature.

I re-entered my problem because for some reason I am not getting any email
feedback advice - I did however, when you responded to me today. Also, when I
go into the community help area I was unable to display my question of
5/5/06. I have only been able to get the information by following the links
you supplied me in your reply.

Thanks for the CMB help, are you able to help me with the mouse problem?

Thanks
Alison

"Alison" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that I have been using for a couple of years but now
when I select a chart I lose my menu bar (file, edit, view etc). Also, I am
no longer able to right mouse click. If I select elsewhere on the sheet my
menu and mouse operations returns. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I
have tried resetting my worksheet menu bar by selecting tools/customise
toolbars but this doesn't help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

I re-entered my problem because for some reason I am not getting any email
feedback advice - I did however, when you responded to me today. Also,
when I
go into the community help area I was unable to display my question of
5/5/06. I have only been able to get the information by following the
links
you supplied me in your reply.

a. You shouldn't expect help direct from Microsoft. These forums are
"staffed" by volunteers who like helping people solve their problems.

b. The web interface is pretty lousy, even though they've improved it in
recent years. You can access the forums using a news reader (Outlook
Distress will suffice). Open a new account of type News, link to the news
server news:msnews.microsoft.com, and browse the list of news groups until
you find the relevant ones.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Alison

I am a new user to all this and at no time expected a response from
Microsoft. However, on entering the information it stated it would send me a
confirmation email in I think it said up to 10 minutes. Nothing came until
the next day. It also said that when someone responds it would send an email.
Greg responded but I still got no email. I also could not see my query when I
reentered the discussion group site. That is why after waiting a week I
reentered my query as I had noticed it is usually less than 24 hours to get a
response.

I still have problems with my mouse tho.

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

You wouldn't have run some kind of macro that disabled chart functions? The
chart menu bar and the chart context menu both missing at once, that's more
than a coicidence.

- Jon
-------

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Alison

Possibly received one from someone. Do you know what the VB command is to
turn back on the Chart Context Menu ( I have turned the Chart Menu bar back
on thru VB immediate.)
Thanks

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Greg Wilson

My guess is that someone has created a Class Module that is set to the
embedded chart object and has set the Cancel parameter of the
BeforeRightClick event to True. In other words, they have deactivated the
right click event instead of disabling the popup commmand bars.

I would look for a Class Module that has code at the beginning something
like this where "mychart" could be any variable name:

Option Explicit
Public WithEvents mychart As Excel.Chart

Private Sub mychart_BeforeRightClick(Cancel As Boolean)
Cancel = True
'more code
End Sub

And also in a standard module code roughly like this where "Class1" is the
name of the Class Module:

Dim cht As New Class1
Sub xyz()
Set cht.mychart = ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Chart
End Sub

I don't see a reason to be selective about the chart popups, so to re-enable
all commandbars:
For Each cb In Application.CommandBars
cb.Enabled = True
Next

Regards,
Greg

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Alison

Thanks Greg, I understand what you are saying but I just can't quite get the
right click to work, probably because I am not very familiar with VB. I can
get into the VB immediate screen but I have typed your all commandbars code
but it keeps coming up with errors. I was able to re-enable the Chart Menu
Bar this way. I know I am doing something wrong but I am not sure what. Hope
you can help this dummy.

Alison