Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
deejohn525

Default ow to create comparison chart using text as value data?

lplease help me. I am trying to set up a comparison chart of 3 computers cost
and features! I cannot figure out how to use the features as values on the x
or y axis says data range is to complex so cant select rows or columns. I am
trying to enter the features as my source data too bungled dont know what to
do term project is now overdue and I am stressing out!~ Dont want to fail.
please help me!do i have to redo the whole chart or what any suggestions and
demonstration would be deeply appreciated. thanks, Dee Johnson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

The first thing you need to do is think how the chart should look. What kind
of chart will it be? What variable or categories will be displayed across
the bottom of the chart? What variable will be plotted above these? How will
the data be grouped into series (same-formatted points--markers, columns,
etc.--that go together).

Then arrange the data so the horizontal variable or categories are listed in
a column. Each column to the right of this should have the corresponding
data for one series. Don't skip rows or columns.

Select the data, start the chart wizard, and make your chart.

Your first column might have categories like price, hard drive capacity,
RAM, processor speed, etc. The next three columns would have values for
computers A, B, and C. Since the values will range all over the place (you
can't plot $ vs GB and expect the scale to be right), you might normalize
the values. For example, instead of entering price, enter the price divided
by the maximum price of the three computers. If the prices are $800, $850,
and $1000, the values you enter should be 0.8, 0.85, and 1. Do the same for
all categories. If the "values" are hi/med/low or good/fair/bad, use an
arbitrary scale between 0 and 1.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP