Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
QuantumLeap

Default X-axis labels wrong

I am still having the problem that I wrote in about on the 1st of March.

I am making a graph of data collected during a time period, where the x-axis
is the
date and the y-axis is the value collected. I have several different series
of data and selected the appropriate cells for the data and for my x-axis
labels. I think that all of the values are plotting, but the x-axis values
are incorrect.

Different series:
Y1: E2:E89
Y2: E90:E176
Y3: E177:E261
Y4: E262:E347
Y5: E348:E432
Y6: E433:E504
Y7: E505:E562
Y8: E563:E621

I am using a standard line graph and Excel 2000. This is perplexing because
the graph is so simple and I have never had a problem like this until last
month and the problem continues.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
David Biddulph

"QuantumLeap" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried changing it from a line graph to XY-scatter?
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

If you want Y2 values (E90:E176) to line up with A90:A176, you have two
choices.

a. In a line chart, you need blank cells to line up with A2:A89. These serve
as placeholders, so the 89th X value in A90 lines up with the 89th Y value
in E90. Each subsequent series needs more blanks. The best way to do this is
to stagger the data, putting Y1 into E2:E89, Y2 into F90:F176, etc., and
leaving the rest of each column blank.

b. In an XY chart (assuming your X data are numerical and not some kind of
text labels), plot series 1 as X=A2:A89 and Y=E2:E89, series 2 as X=A90:A176
and Y=E90:E176, etc. If the data are numerical, you should probably be using
an XY chart anyway for a number of reasons.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
QuantumLeap

Thanks for your help. I am changing the graph to an X-Y scatter and adding
the lines between points.