Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
uscben

Default How do i not plot values as zero?

I am trying to create a running chart whereby information is added daily.
The information, as added, is run though a formula and is added to the chart.
I want only the new information to plot on the chart, not the cells where
information has not been added. The problem I am having is that the cells
where the information has not been added are plotting as "zero". I have the
option checked where it will "not plot empty cells", but since the cells
where data has not been entered contains a formula, it is not recognizing
this as an empty cell and plots it as zero. Is there a function that I can
use to tell the chart not to plot the formula as "zero"?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
uscben

This works well except for the fact that I do indeed have an average function
in the formula. So, as your tutorial states, the NA() disrupts the formula.
Is there a workaround for this (aside from averaging mauually i.e.
(A1+A2+A3....An) / n)?

"Kelly O'Day" wrote:

USCBen:

When Excel sees a cell with a formula, it does not consider it empty. That's
why your don't plot empty cells configuration isn't doing what you want.

Your If formula will need to set the cell to NA() rather than "". Excel
recognizes NA() and places a #N/A in the cell. Your drop to zero problem
should be gone.

If you need any additional info see my tutorial
http://processtrends.com/pg_charts_missing_data.htm

...Kelly

"uscben" wrote in message
I am trying to create a running chart whereby information is added daily.
The information, as added, is run though a formula and is added to the
chart.
I want only the new information to plot on the chart, not the cells where
information has not been added. The problem I am having is that the cells
where the information has not been added are plotting as "zero". I have
the
option checked where it will "not plot empty cells", but since the cells
where data has not been entered contains a formula, it is not recognizing
this as an empty cell and plots it as zero. Is there a function that I
can
use to tell the chart not to plot the formula as "zero"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Kelly O'Day

There are two approaches that I have seen:

1. Two column method - 1 column for raw data, 1 column with charting
formula to eliminate blank problem
2. One column method - use Sumproduct or Array formula with criteria to
get average for valid numbers only.

...Kelly

this will test to see if a valid average can be