Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Need Help in DC

Default Selecting data from different cells for a chart

This is a little difficult to word without showing a picture of the data, but
I'm wondering if there is a way to select data from different cells for a
chart. The difficulty is that I have multiple sets of data that are
organized in a series of cells..I'll see if I can explain this.

Relative to the top of each box of data (box contains between 2 and 4 rows,
with 6 columns across), the first cell I need (a data label) would be at 0,0.
The second cell I need to pull from would be at 6,3 (6 columns to the right
and 3 rows down).

I need to pull this data repeatedly into a chart, the idea being to get a
label and a total value for each box of data. All boxes are on the same
worksheet. Is there a wy to do this through a script or macro? I'm happy to
send an image of the worksheet to anyone who might be able to help; I think
the image will explain this in a much clearer fashion, but any help would be
greatly appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

The short-term solution is to select a blank cell and start the chart
wizard. In step 2, clear the X values box and select the first point (so its
address appears in the box), then hold Ctrl while selecting each additional
X value. Clear the Y values box, and select the first Y point, and hold Ctrl
while selecting additional Y values. The X and Y values must be selected in
the same order. You will only be able to select a few dozen points, fewer if
the sheet has a long name. Macros won't help you, either, because VBA allows
fewer characters than selecting points by hand.

The long-term, reliable way to do this is by using formulas (offsets and the
like) to get all of the X values into a contiguous column, and all of the Y
values into the adjacent contiguous column.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

"Need Help in DC" <Need Help in wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Need Help in DC

Thanks very much for the suggestion. While this solution will probably be a
little tedious given the data I'm working with, it's better than nothing.

Much appreciated for the quick and helpful response.