Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
goody444

Default Can't get data from a web page to chart in excel. Any solutions?

I want to chart some data I have copied from an internet website. I
have two columns: column 1 is time and column 2 is a fluctuating value.
There are many data points so I cannot hand type the numbers. Here is
an example of the data I am trying to plot:

http://www.tradingday.com/is/siri.html

use this link and at the bottom there will be stock ticker values.
This is where the data is copied from. I would like to chart both
"time" and "price". My problem is listed below:

When I paste the numbers into excel, the columns of cells are "merged"
so I have to split them to edit. Once that is done, I try to chart the
data but the graph comes up as completely blank.

I have also tried pasting the data as "paste special" pasting only with
"values" yet this also does not work. It's not the data; if I type a
sample of the data next to it, excel has no problem charting it. It
seems to be the format when the cell is pasted.

I have even gone through and tried to reformat the data, yet no matter
which format for the cells I choose, the numbers do not change. I have
also gotten rid of any protection on the cells (ie locked data).

Does anyone have any idea how I can get these numbers to chart?

Sorry if that is confusing, please respond with any questions you have.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

--
goody444
goody444's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32015

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Rob Hick

i've tried it using the 'INET Time & Sales' data table at the bottom of
your example link and it seems to work ok if you use 'Paste Special'
and select 'Unicode Text'. I am using XL2000 so I'm not sure if this
will work in XL97, but I would have thought it should.

You will need to change the format of the 'Time' column to be Time
(Format\Cells\Number) so that the chart will have a correctly scaled
axis.

Rob