Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Ron P

Default Chart oddity

I was trying to make a simple line chart (Excel 2000). I had the following
columns: Date, Heat 05, Air Cond 05, Heat 06, Air Cond 06 all populated with
the running time of the furnace or air conditioner up to today's date.

The chart would omit the first column of data to the right of the Date
column until I deleted the heading "Date" from the Date column.

Everything else in the chart appeared normal.

Is this normal behaviour or have I stumbled upon a bug of some kind?
--

Ron P

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

I can't envision exactly what was going wrong. But I'll point out that a
not-well-known best practice is to leave the top left cell blank. This helps
Excel parse the data range.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Ron P" wrote in message
I was trying to make a simple line chart (Excel 2000). I had the following
columns: Date, Heat 05, Air Cond 05, Heat 06, Air Cond 06 all populated
with the running time of the furnace or air conditioner up to today's date.

The chart would omit the first column of data to the right of the Date
column until I deleted the heading "Date" from the Date column.

Everything else in the chart appeared normal.

Is this normal behaviour or have I stumbled upon a bug of some kind?
--

Ron P

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Ron P

Thanks for the thought. It is a bit strange and something to keep in mind
when charts are going to be used. It had me wondering what I had done wrong
with my data seeing that the chart wasn't working out.

Thank you.