Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
JCW173

Default Joining data points on a line chart

I have the following as an example set of data points to be plotted on either
a line or scatter chart (doesn't matter which as I am having the same problem
with both!)

X Y1 Y2
1 2 1.8
2 4
3 6 4.5
4 8
5 10 9
6 12

I get a line drawn between the points for Y1, but because there is not a Y2
value for every point on the X-axis then I just get points and no line,
despite a line being selected for in the options! Does anyone know how to get
this line added on?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Bernard Liengme

In each empty cell enter =NA(); this will display as #N/A.
The line on chart will be continuous.
OR
Click chart; use Tools|Options; open Chart tab and look at "Plot empty cells
as"
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"JCW173" wrote in message
I have the following as an example set of data points to be plotted on
either
a line or scatter chart (doesn't matter which as I am having the same
problem
with both!)

X Y1 Y2
1 2 1.8
2 4
3 6 4.5
4 8
5 10 9
6 12

I get a line drawn between the points for Y1, but because there is not a
Y2
value for every point on the X-axis then I just get points and no line,
despite a line being selected for in the options! Does anyone know how to
get
this line added on?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

Select the chart and from the menus Tools Options Chart. Plot Empty
cells as Interpolated.

Cheers
Andy

JCW173 wrote:
I have the following as an example set of data points to be plotted on either
a line or scatter chart (doesn't matter which as I am having the same problem
with both!)

X Y1 Y2
1 2 1.8
2 4
3 6 4.5
4 8
5 10 9
6 12

I get a line drawn between the points for Y1, but because there is not a Y2
value for every point on the X-axis then I just get points and no line,
despite a line being selected for in the options! Does anyone know how to get
this line added on?

Thanks

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel