Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
rvExcelNewTip

Default Getting Rid of Error Message

I have a "simple" logarithmic function: - log(1-$a1)/log(1+$i$1) where
the $a colomn varies between 0 and 0.9999 and $i$1 is always positive.
A xy chart is drawn for this function with a logarithmic Y-axis.

Displaying the chart always provokes an arror message: (something like)
-Negative or null values cannot be correctly drawn in logarithmic
charts....-.

For as far as my algebaic knowledge goes, this function (within the
data range) never gets negative. Why the error message? And more
inmportantly, how to get rid of it?

Turning DisplayAlerts off is NOT an option, as the Workbook that
contains that function can display valid messages.

--
rvExcelNewTip
rvExcelNewTip's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15668

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Are there any error bars which might lead to a negative number?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"rvExcelNewTip"
wrote in message
news:rvExcelNewTip.21b9am_1136715001.478@excelforu m-nospam.com...

I have a "simple" logarithmic function: - log(1-$a1)/log(1+$i$1) where
the $a colomn varies between 0 and 0.9999 and $i$1 is always positive.
A xy chart is drawn for this function with a logarithmic Y-axis.

Displaying the chart always provokes an arror message: (something like)
-Negative or null values cannot be correctly drawn in logarithmic
charts....-.

For as far as my algebaic knowledge goes, this function (within the
data range) never gets negative. Why the error message? And more
inmportantly, how to get rid of it?

Turning DisplayAlerts off is NOT an option, as the Workbook that
contains that function can display valid messages.

--
rvExcelNewTip
rvExcelNewTip's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499144

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
rvExcelNewTip

The error shows even if the chart is drawn without any error bars. As
soon as you switch the scale of the Y-axis to logarithmic, you get it.

PS: I do have a problem with error bars in a logarithmic plot in a
related problem:
http://www.excelforum.com//showthrea...5&goto=newpost

--
rvExcelNewTip
rvExcelNewTip's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15668
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499144

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Any blank cells in the source data range?

- Jon

"rvExcelNewTip"
wrote in message
news:rvExcelNewTip.21cx8y_1136792701.0076@excelfor um-nospam.com...

The error shows even if the chart is drawn without any error bars. As
soon as you switch the scale of the Y-axis to logarithmic, you get it.

PS: I do have a problem with error bars in a logarithmic plot in a
related problem:
http://www.excelforum.com//showthrea...5&goto=newpost

--
rvExcelNewTip
rvExcelNewTip's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499144

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
rvExcelNewTip

No blank cells in the source data range!
Excel version 2003

I should perhaps add that the offending error message suggests the
following advise:

- Enter only values that are positive in the cells used by the chart
- Unselect the logarithmic scale

I also changed the formula to -ABS(LOG(1-$A1)/LOG(1+$I$1))-, thereby
eliminating the leading minus sign. Same result.

Apparently, Excel is suspicious of the -ABS(LOG(1-$A1))- part of the
formula. If you substitute this test formula for the original one, the
message persists.

The -1-$A1- part could theoretically result in a negative argument for
the -LOG- function, but the actual data don't as the values in the -$A-
column are between 0 and 0.999

In my opinion the resulting message is misplaced, not to say an error
(or should I say bug in this case?)

Thanks Jon for your continuing support.

--
rvExcelNewTip
rvExcelNewTip's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15668
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499144

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

-ABS(LOG(1-$A1)/LOG(1+$I$1))-

I'm confused by your apparent use of hyphen/minus sign for quotes. Do you
mean this?

"ABS(LOG(1-$A1)/LOG(1+$I$1))"

Since $A1 is always less than 1, 1-$A1 is always positive, but log(1-$A1) is
either zero (if $A1 is 0) or negative (if $A10 and <0.999). If you're
plotting this function on a log scale, Excel will reject it. If you're
plotting ABS(this function) on the log scale, and there's an instance where
$A1=0, then ABS(the function)=0 and Excel will again reject it.

- Jon
-------

wrote in message
news:rvExcelNewTip.21gony_1136968201.6344@excelfor um-nospam.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
rvExcelNewTip

Jon Peltier Wrote:
-ABS(LOG(1-$A1)/LOG(1+$I$1))-

I'm confused by your apparent use of hyphen/minus sign for quotes. Do
you
mean this?
"ABS(LOG(1-$A1)/LOG(1+$I$1))"

Jon,

It's my turn to be confused In my view of the forum message
the hyphens don't show up. I used (and hopefully this comes through
unscattered) either --LOG(1-$A$1)/LOG(1+$I$1)- or
-ABS(LOG(1-$A$1)/LOG(1+$I$1))-

Jon Peltier Wrote:

Since $A1 is always less than 1, 1-$A1 is always positive, but
log(1-$A1) is
either zero (if $A1 is 0) or negative (if $A10 and <0.999). If you're
plotting this function on a log scale, Excel will reject it. If you're
plotting ABS(this function) on the log scale, and there's an instance
where
$A1=0, then ABS(the function)=0 and Excel will again reject it.

You hit the nail on the head: I should start the $A range at a value
other than zero (e.g. 0.001) and then the message disappears. Excel,
after all, was right! Many Thanks

--
rvExcelNewTip
rvExcelNewTip's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15668
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499144

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

You should be using plain text in these forums, if you're not already. The
two bits you included in your first para we

--LOG(1-$A$1)/LOG(1+$I$1)- [two leading hyphens and one trailing]
-ABS(LOG(1-$A$1)/LOG(1+$I$1))- [single leading and trailing hyphens]

- Jon
-------

wrote in message
news:rvExcelNewTip.21ik9a_1137055801.4814@excelfor um-nospam.com...