Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Default Getting Rid of Error Message

-ABS(LOG(1-$A1)/LOG(1+$I$1))-

I'm confused by your apparent use of hyphen/minus sign for quotes. Do you
mean this?

"ABS(LOG(1-$A1)/LOG(1+$I$1))"

Since $A1 is always less than 1, 1-$A1 is always positive, but log(1-$A1) is
either zero (if $A1 is 0) or negative (if $A10 and <0.999). If you're
plotting this function on a log scale, Excel will reject it. If you're
plotting ABS(this function) on the log scale, and there's an instance where
$A1=0, then ABS(the function)=0 and Excel will again reject it.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"rvExcelNewTip"
wrote in message
news:rvExcelNewTip.21gony_1136968201.6344@excelfor um-nospam.com...

No blank cells in the source data range!
Excel version 2003

I should perhaps add that the offending error message suggests the
following advise:

- Enter only values that are positive in the cells used by the chart
- Unselect the logarithmic scale

I also changed the formula to -ABS(LOG(1-$A1)/LOG(1+$I$1))-, thereby
eliminating the leading minus sign. Same result.

Apparently, Excel is suspicious of the -ABS(LOG(1-$A1))- part of the
formula. If you substitute this test formula for the original one, the
message persists.

The -1-$A1- part could theoretically result in a negative argument for
the -LOG- function, but the actual data don't as the values in the -$A-
column are between 0 and 0.999

In my opinion the resulting message is misplaced, not to say an error
(or should I say bug in this case?)

Thanks Jon for your continuing support.

--
rvExcelNewTip