Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Tmblweed

Default Scatterplot Question

I have a few points, graphed as a scatterplot and the points are connected by
a smooth line. (For example: (0,0), (5, 6), (6, 8), (10, 20).)

Since the points are connected by 3 different smooth lines, each line has a
different slope/degree. Is there any way to have Excel determine the y-value
of a point that is not a plotted point (anything besides x = 0, 5, 6, 10)?
For example, based on the smooth line, can I ask Excel to find the y-value of
x=1 or x=9?

Thank you very much for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Bernard Liengme

Visit http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ti...lue/index.html
Please come back if you have more questions
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Tmblweed" wrote in message
I have a few points, graphed as a scatterplot and the points are connected
by
a smooth line. (For example: (0,0), (5, 6), (6, 8), (10, 20).)

Since the points are connected by 3 different smooth lines, each line has
different slope/degree. Is there any way to have Excel determine the
y-value
of a point that is not a plotted point (anything besides x = 0, 5, 6, 10)?
For example, based on the smooth line, can I ask Excel to find the y-value
of
x=1 or x=9?

Thank you very much for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Tmblweed

Thank you for your reply.

While I understand that this allows you to "read off" the value of the
point, is there any way to ask Excel to compute that value? Also, while the
website may help when the point plotted is in the same worksheet as the
graph, I don't quite know how to drag the point to the graph, if the graph is
on a separate worksheet.

"Tmblweed" wrote in message
I have a few points, graphed as a scatterplot and the points are connected
by
a smooth line. (For example: (0,0), (5, 6), (6, 8), (10, 20).)

Since the points are connected by 3 different smooth lines, each line has
different slope/degree. Is there any way to have Excel determine the
y-value
of a point that is not a plotted point (anything besides x = 0, 5, 6, 10)?
For example, based on the smooth line, can I ask Excel to find the y-value
of
x=1 or x=9?

Thank you very much for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Bernard Liengme

Do you know what is meant by curve fitting? If you find the equation that
fits the curve, simple math will let Excel compute Y given X. You data can
be fitted to a 3rd order polynomial. See
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips for the use of LINEST to get the
parameters of a polynomial fit into cells. Then come back for more.

On separate sheets: do you now how to use Window|New Window to display to
sheets side by side?

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme