Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
maperalia

Default Add Value to the Chart

I have a chart done from the table shown below. However, I want to put the
value (date) in addition of the values (X) and (Y) axis. So far, I have been
doing it manually. I wonder if there is any way to it automatically.

Thanks in advance.
Maperalia.

Date "X" "Y"
6/21/2005 0 0
7/6/2005 147 0.008
7/18/2005 197 0.012
8/5/2005 255 0.016
8/18/2005 289 0.016
9/8/2005 337 0.006
9/19/2005 360 0.017

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

How would you like the date to appear? As a data label on each point? then
use one of these handy data labeling add-ins:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com/ss

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"maperalia" wrote in message
I have a chart done from the table shown below. However, I want to put the
value (date) in addition of the values (X) and (Y) axis. So far, I have
been
doing it manually. I wonder if there is any way to it automatically.

Thanks in advance.
Maperalia.

Date "X" "Y"
6/21/2005 0 0
7/6/2005 147 0.008
7/18/2005 197 0.012
8/5/2005 255 0.016
8/18/2005 289 0.016
9/8/2005 337 0.006
9/19/2005 360 0.017

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
maperalia

Jon;
Thanks for your quick response.
Regarding your question a want the data appears as a secondary "x" value in
the top of the chart.

Thanks.
Maperalia

"maperalia" wrote in message
I have a chart done from the table shown below. However, I want to put the
value (date) in addition of the values (X) and (Y) axis. So far, I have
been
doing it manually. I wonder if there is any way to it automatically.

Thanks in advance.
Maperalia.

Date "X" "Y"
6/21/2005 0 0
7/6/2005 147 0.008
7/18/2005 197 0.012
8/5/2005 255 0.016
8/18/2005 289 0.016
9/8/2005 337 0.006
9/19/2005 360 0.017

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

The way to do this is to add another series which uses the same X values but
uses the maximum on the Y axis for the Y value of each point. The data would
look like this, assuming a Y max of 0.02.

Date "X" "Y" Y2
6/21/2005 0 0 0.02
7/6/2005 147 0.008 0.02
7/18/2005 197 0.012 0.02
8/5/2005 255 0.016 0.02
8/18/2005 289 0.016 0.02
9/8/2005 337 0.006 0.02
9/19/2005 360 0.017 0.02

Before adding this series, double click the Y axis and switch to the Scale
tab, and uncheck the Auto box in front of the Maximum box, then use the
maximum entry in the data table where I've inserted 0.02.

Select the chart, choose Source Data on the Chart menu, click on the Series
tab. Click Add, click in the X values box and select the X values, click in
the Y values box and select the new Y values. Enter a name ("Date" is good)
in the appropriate box.

Double click this new series, and on the Patterns tab, choose None for
markers and line.

Use a third party chart labeling add-in, such as one of these, to add the
dates in the first column as labels to the new series. Use the "Above"
alignment option. Both of these add-ins are free, easy to install and to
use.

"maperalia" wrote in message
I have a chart done from the table shown below. However, I want to put
the
value (date) in addition of the values (X) and (Y) axis. So far, I have
been
doing it manually. I wonder if there is any way to it automatically.

Thanks in advance.
Maperalia.

Date "X" "Y"
6/21/2005 0 0