Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Frank Martin

Default Ternary (or triangular) charting required.

I have Excel2003 and I need some way to form triangular/ternary charts.

Is there any way, or is there some plug-in available?

Please help, Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

Here are some links, from previous posts, on ternary plots.

http://www.sfu.ca/~marshall/ternplot.htm
http://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/mineralo...g/ternary.html
http://www.geologynet.com/programs/ternplot.xls
ftp://www-sst.unil.ch/ftp/jfurrer/Trix_fr.zip

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Gaj Vidmar

In big hurry, so I'll be terse. There are (of course :) three:

1. Trixcel:
http://www-sst.unil.ch/perso_pages/j...el/Trixcel.htm

(or Google for links to it and comments; it's in French but should be
self-explanatory; I remember there was also an English version XTXC, can't
remember whether older or newer than Trixcel)

OK, JUST FOUND IT: for link to XTXC go to
http://www.agri.upm.edu.my/~chris/tal/talxl.html

2. Ternplot: has an article "TernPlot: an Excel spreadsheet" in Computers
and Geosciences; find the file itself by means of Google yourself

3. tri-plot: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/phys-geog/tri-plot/

Best regards,

Gaj Vidmar
Uiv. of Ljubljana, Fac. of Medicine, Inst. of Biomedical Informatics

"Frank Martin" wrote in message
I have Excel2003 and I need some way to form triangular/ternary charts.

Is there any way, or is there some plug-in available?

Please help, Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
fernando cinquegrani

[Frank Martin] scrive in
bl
I have Excel2003 and I need some way to form triangular/ternary
charts.
Is there any way, or is there some plug-in available?

http://www.prodomosua.it/zips/triangolare.xls
.f

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
B. R.Ramachandran

Hi,

Make an XY-scatter plot with the following data (Series 1, shown as x,
y-pairs); this forms the triangular boundary. Format the line to suit to
your taste. In Chart Options/ Axes Tab, uncheck X- and Y- axes to hide
them. Similarly get rid of the borders of the plot and chart areas, and
resize the areas to get a triangle that looks equilateral on the screen (!)

Series 1:
0.0, 0.00
0.5, 0.86603
1.0, 0.00
0.0, 0.00

Add 5 more series to the above graph with the following data (these form the
grids; format the lines appropriately)

Series 2:
0.05, 0.086603
0.10, 0.00
0.55, 0.77942
0.45, 0.77942
0.90, 0.00
0.95, 0.086603
0.05, 0.086603
Series 3:
0.10, 0.17321
0.20, 0.00
0.60, 0.69282
0.40, 0.69282
0.80, 0.00
0.90, 0.17321
0.10, 0.17321
Series 4:
0.15, 0.25981
0.30, 0.00
0.65, 0.60622
0.35, 0.60622
0.70, 0.00
0.85, 0.25981
0.15, 0.25981
Series 5:
0.20, 0.34641
0.40, 0.00
0.70, 0.51962
0.30, 0.51962
0.60, 0.00
0.80, 0.34641
0.20, 0.34641
Series 6:
0.25, 0.43301
0.50, 0.00
0.75, 0.43301
0.25, 0.43301

Plotting the data:

Please note that the above approach assumes that the compositions of ternary
mixtures are expressed in terms of the fraction (and not percentage) of
components A and B (i.e., fA and fB); so fC = 1-fA-fB.
In say A21.. and B21 .., enter fA and fB respectively. In C21 enter the
formula = 1-A21-B21 (This column is only for completeness and is not really
necessary for the plot. However, if you do create this column, you could
simplify the formulas below by replacing (1-A21-B21) with C21).

In D21 enter the formula, =B21+(1-A21-B21)*COS(PI()/3) [x-value of the
data point]
In E21 enter the formula, =(1-A21-B21)*SIN(PI()/3) [y-value of the data
point]

Auto-fill the formulas down to the last row.

Add a series to the blank ternary plot area you have already created, with
E21:Elastrow (y-range) vs D21:Dlastrow (x-range).

The left-hand-side bottom, right-hand-side bottom and the top corners of the
triangle correspond to pure A, B, and C respectively.

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran