Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Catalina

Default Area Charts - Filling in above only

I have four lines that each define a horizontal zone. When I change each to
an Area Chart, it appears that the color is only painted above each line and
the color extends from the line all the way to the top of the chart. But
above the top line I'd like this to be uncolored. I want the top two areas
are filled in BELOW each line to a horiz. mid-point on the chart and the
bottom two areas are filled in ABOVE these lines to a horiz. mid-point. In
effect I want the chart to depict from top to bottom:

Empty space
Danger zone
Safe zone
Safe zone
Danger zone
Empty space

Help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Tushar Mehta

Create a stacked area chart with one line for each of the zones of
interest (and one for mid point line). If all the zones are of equal
size, use a y value of 1 for each series. Alternatively, adjust them
for your own requirements.

0 1
Empty space 1 1
Danger zone 1 1
Safe zone 1 1
Midpoint 0 0
Safe zone 1 1
Danger zone 1 1
Empty space 1 1

In step 2 of the chart wizard ensure you select 'data are in rows.'
Now, format each zone as desired.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
I have four lines that each define a horizontal zone. When I change each to
an Area Chart, it appears that the color is only painted above each line and
the color extends from the line all the way to the top of the chart. But
above the top line I'd like this to be uncolored. I want the top two areas
are filled in BELOW each line to a horiz. mid-point on the chart and the
bottom two areas are filled in ABOVE these lines to a horiz. mid-point. In
effect I want the chart to depict from top to bottom:

Empty space
Danger zone
Safe zone
Safe zone
Danger zone
Empty space

Help!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Area charts fill in from the series to the category axis. Column charts also
do this, going from the value to the axis.

If your series are on the secondary axis, note that the secondary category
axis is at the top of the chart. This means the area series (or columns)
extend from the plotted value to the top of the chart. Fix this by double
clicking on the secondary value axis (Y, not X), and unchecking the Category
Axis Crosses at Maximum box, and putting the minimum of the axis (presumably
zero) in the Category Axis Cresses At input box.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services