Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old December 1st 05, 07:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
pj
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why does (blank) display on pivot table

I have created a pivot table and a couple of columns that I have used have no
data in them. However those columns are displaying (blank) in the pivot
table. I need it to not display anything so that once the pivot is printed
the field can be written in.

I have deleted all data in those columns, under 'options' I have checked
'For empty cells show...' and erased the field next to it but it still
displays in the pivot table as (blank).

Your thoughts...thanks

JP

  #2   Report Post  
Old December 1st 05, 11:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Debra Dalgleish
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why does (blank) display on pivot table

The For empty cells show... setting controls cells in the data area.
For row and column headings, you can select a cell that says (Blank),
and type a space character on the keyboard. The cell will appear blank.

pj wrote:
I have created a pivot table and a couple of columns that I have used have no
data in them. However those columns are displaying (blank) in the pivot
table. I need it to not display anything so that once the pivot is printed
the field can be written in.

I have deleted all data in those columns, under 'options' I have checked
'For empty cells show...' and erased the field next to it but it still
displays in the pivot table as (blank).

Your thoughts...thanks

JP



--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  #3   Report Post  
Old December 6th 05, 02:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
pj
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why does (blank) display on pivot table

Thanks Debra that worked perfectly.
What I need to do now in that same blank column is allow a user to enter a
number on the pivot table. I find that when I enter anything in one cell it
copies to every cell in that column. Is there a lock somewhere on it or is a
pivot table input prohibited?

Thanks again - PJ

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

The For empty cells show... setting controls cells in the data area.
For row and column headings, you can select a cell that says (Blank),
and type a space character on the keyboard. The cell will appear blank.

pj wrote:
I have created a pivot table and a couple of columns that I have used have no
data in them. However those columns are displaying (blank) in the pivot
table. I need it to not display anything so that once the pivot is printed
the field can be written in.

I have deleted all data in those columns, under 'options' I have checked
'For empty cells show...' and erased the field next to it but it still
displays in the pivot table as (blank).

Your thoughts...thanks

JP



--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html


  #4   Report Post  
Old December 6th 05, 06:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Debra Dalgleish
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why does (blank) display on pivot table

All the (blank) items are seen as the same item, so changing one changes
them all. There's no setting you can change to unlock them.

Maybe you could enter the numbers in the source data, instead of the
pivot table.

pj wrote:
Thanks Debra that worked perfectly.
What I need to do now in that same blank column is allow a user to enter a
number on the pivot table. I find that when I enter anything in one cell it
copies to every cell in that column. Is there a lock somewhere on it or is a
pivot table input prohibited?

Thanks again - PJ

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:


The For empty cells show... setting controls cells in the data area.
For row and column headings, you can select a cell that says (Blank),
and type a space character on the keyboard. The cell will appear blank.

pj wrote:

I have created a pivot table and a couple of columns that I have used have no
data in them. However those columns are displaying (blank) in the pivot
table. I need it to not display anything so that once the pivot is printed
the field can be written in.

I have deleted all data in those columns, under 'options' I have checked
'For empty cells show...' and erased the field next to it but it still
displays in the pivot table as (blank).

Your thoughts...thanks

JP



--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html





--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pivot table sort entries that don't yet appear in table rachael Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 11 September 19th 05 11:29 PM
How to get pivot table Time field to appear correctly wccmgr Excel Worksheet Functions 1 August 23rd 05 12:26 AM
How can I show all field data in a pivot table, instead of blank Alastair Scott Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 August 17th 05 07:08 PM
Pivot table page field switch to (all) if my criteria is not avail Angus Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 July 30th 05 05:06 AM
Pivot Table Problems Rachel Gonsior Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 March 21st 05 08:24 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"

 

Copyright © 2017