Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jeff from Kern County

Default Need help with chart graph not on chart wizard

Need help in creating chart graph. For example, we have tarped and untarped
data we need to track. I want to create a chart for 9 landfill sites and
show the tarped and untarped percentages on the same bar graph. I am
comparing October and November data. I am using excel 2003. Does anyone
know if this can be done? The chart wizards has something similar, but not
showing the data the way we want to present it. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Neither of your posts described what you want to show, or how you want
to show it. I'm sure what you want can be done, but I don't know yet
what that is.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Jeff from Kern County wrote:

Need help in creating chart graph. For example, we have tarped and untarped
data we need to track. I want to create a chart for 9 landfill sites and
show the tarped and untarped percentages on the same bar graph. I am
comparing October and November data. I am using excel 2003. Does anyone
know if this can be done? The chart wizards has something similar, but not
showing the data the way we want to present it. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jeff from Kern County

My apologies for not providing all the info in an earlier post...I was
heading out the door and in rush...

What I need is bar graph that will show 9 landfills that we are tracking for
tarped and untarped vehicles for the month of September and October. The
person sent me the following data in excel (I am only showing the first
landfill site). I need to create a graph that shows the Ridgecrest tarped
(1,948 & 45.07%) and untarped (2,374 & 54.93%) on the same bar for September
and the next bar will be the tarped (2,137 & 35.39%) and untapred (3,901 &
64.61%) for October. I will need to do this for the other 8 landfills. We
desire the tarped info. to be shown on the bottom half of the bar and the
untarped info. to be shown on the top half of the bar.

SEPT 8th - 30th Oct 1st - 31st
Tarped Untarp Tarped Untarp
Ridgecrest 1,948 2,374 2,137 3,901
45.07% 54.93% 35.39% 64.61%

I am not sure if the data is formatted to do what I want. I've been trying
several different variations of the data and have come close but not exactly
what we need to show. If you have any suggestions for reformatting the data
or know which bar graph will work, your assistance will be appreciated. If
you need more information, please let me know. I hope I have provided enough
information. Thank you.

"Jeff from Kern County" wrote:

Need help in creating chart graph. For example, we have tarped and untarped
data we need to track. I want to create a chart for 9 landfill sites and
show the tarped and untarped percentages on the same bar graph. I am
comparing October and November data. I am using excel 2003. Does anyone
know if this can be done? The chart wizards has something similar, but not
showing the data the way we want to present it. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Okay, that's a decent description. Hope this explanation is adequate.

So you want a column chart (what Excel calls a chart with vertical
bars), with Tarped and Untarped stacked, and then clustered by month.
Right, Excel doesn't natively support this configuration. But Excel
supports a lot of non-native charts, if you don't mind doing a little
work. In your case, most of the work is involved in the data
arrangement. This page has links to a number of example
clustered-stacked column charts:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...sterStack.html

You should plot just the tonnages. But if you want, you can make
combined data labels that will show both tonnage and percentage.
Concatenate the strings in a new range in the worksheet, using a formula
like this:

=A2&CHAR(10)&"("&A3&")"

where A2 holds the tonnage, A3 the percentage, and CHAR(10) is a
linefeed character. Then use one of these free Excel add-ins to apply
the labels from this range to the data points in the chart:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com/ss

- Jon
-------