Default Link to SQL Server?

Hello -

I'm building a pivot table and chart in Excel based on information from
SQL server. I'm noticing that the actual data is being included when I
save the spreadsheet, but I don't want to save the actual data with the
spreadsheet. I want just the table and chart definitions. How can I
link to the SQL server without actually importing the data?

Thanks

Andrew

When I do these sort of things I create a (small) summary table in SQL
Server and then, using odbc black art, import it into Excel... or is the
question not based on size .i.e. security etc???

That's my tuppence worth... any use?

regards

andrew
www.jmdata.co.uk

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello -

I'm building a pivot table and chart in Excel based on information from
SQL server. I'm noticing that the actual data is being included when I
save the spreadsheet, but I don't want to save the actual data with the
spreadsheet. I want just the table and chart definitions. How can I
link to the SQL server without actually importing the data?

Thanks

Hi Andrew -

I'm not sure what you suggest would help in this case. I'm just trying
to separate the data from the query format. I do want all of the data
visible in Excel, but when I save the Excel file I don't want the data
saved with it. Does that make better sense?

Thanks....
Greg

Andrew

Greg, not sure I understand what you mean. If you call me (see
wwwdotjmdatadotcodotuk) I'll try and help.

Cheers

Andrew
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Andrew -

I'm not sure what you suggest would help in this case. I'm just trying
to separate the data from the query format. I do want all of the data
visible in Excel, but when I save the Excel file I don't want the data
saved with it. Does that make better sense?

Thanks....
Greg

andreww

Not really... do you want to give me a call and I'll see if I can help you.

Cheers

Andrew
www.jmdata.co.uk

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Andrew -

I'm not sure what you suggest would help in this case. I'm just trying
to separate the data from the query format. I do want all of the data
visible in Excel, but when I save the Excel file I don't want the data
saved with it. Does that make better sense?

Thanks....
Greg

Hi Andrew - trying to call you from the phone number on your website,
from the United States, and it's not working. Can you tell me how?

Thanks

Never mind...just figured it out. In data range properties, there's an
option "Remove External Data From Worksheet Before Saving" that did the
trick.

Thanks anyway for the help Andrew.

Cheers!

andreww

Glad you have sorted, I understand what you are trying to do now.

Also, to dial a UK number you need to take off the leading zero.

Cheers

Andrew

wrote in message
oups.com...
Never mind...just figured it out. In data range properties, there's an
option "Remove External Data From Worksheet Before Saving" that did the
trick.

Thanks anyway for the help Andrew.

Cheers!

Paste Link - retaining formatting Suzanne Marie Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 August 18th 05 02:02 AM
SQL Server Link from Excel BIll Mills Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 August 10th 05 07:54 PM
problem updating link from Novell server to windows server #REF er Ellen Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 May 10th 05 09:18 PM
Breaking the link T New Users to Excel 1 May 4th 05 10:37 PM
SQL Server ODBC Error Art Saffran Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 March 24th 05 02:37 PM