landen99

Default Excel should display linear equation of line drawn on graph.

Make a graph (chart), draw a straight line on the graph. So what's the slope
and the intercept? An option to display the linear equation would quickly
reveal both.

Excel cells should be able to directly link to precise values of the
coefficients of the equations displayed in a graph. I can't say how many
times I've modeled a best fit only to find that a coefficient changed when my
original data changed or that a manual entered coefficient wasn't precise
enough and yielded a bad fit equation.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...excel.charting
Bernard Liengme

Do you not know about the functions SLOPE, INTERCEPT ,LINEST, FORECAST and
TREND?
Please read Help and come back if more info is needed.
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"landen99" wrote in message
Make a graph (chart), draw a straight line on the graph. So what's the
slope
and the intercept? An option to display the linear equation would quickly
reveal both.

Excel cells should be able to directly link to precise values of the
coefficients of the equations displayed in a graph. I can't say how many
times I've modeled a best fit only to find that a coefficient changed when
my
original data changed or that a manual entered coefficient wasn't precise
enough and yielded a bad fit equation.

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...excel.charting

Jerry W. Lewis

If that straight line was a trendline, then there is already an option
to display the equation (on the Options tab of the Add Trendline
dialog), you just didn't use it.

If you mean that you want to see equations for each line segment that
connects two points, that would be a bit busy, since there is no
guarantee that more than two points will lie on the same straight line.

Jerry