gethein

Default Excel charts

I am trying to format the individual labels on the category axis on an Excel
chart. I want every other label in a different color and bold. But the
entire category axis is formatted. Does anyone have a suggestion? The
category axis is years - 1990 through 2005. I want the odd years to be bold
and a different color than the even years.
Jon Peltier

When Excel doesn't let me do what I want with a chart axis, I draw my own:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html

Use this technique to make two different axes, one for even and one for
odd, and hide the default axis Excel draws. With this technique and your
data, you can just use the X values for the data labels, no special
add-in required to use custom labels. Your data is like:

2001 0
2003 0
2005 0

if 0 is the minimum Y value.

Although you can format data labels individually, I suggested two
different series, so you can format the entire set of odd labels in one
go, same for the evens.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP