cdoughty

Default Date and Time on X-axis

I have three columns (Date, Time, and Temperature) that I am trying to
graph as a scatter chart. I would like Date and Time together on the
x-axis and I would like Temperature on the y-axis. I can't get the
date and time combined on the x-axis. There are multiple measurements
on the same day and the measurements are not spaced evenly. I would
like the scale to be with a consistent unit (i.e. certain number of
hours between points). Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cindy

--
cdoughty
cdoughty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25988

Jon Quixley

Cindy

This is going to sound a bit crazy, but why don't you combine the date
and time into one column and plot that against the temperature? You can
enter time and date as one whole thing by entering the details as a full
date/time -as an example
15:30 25/12/05. Excel recognises time by the colon seperating hours
from minutes and date by the slashes. I don't know if you are using US
date format which would have the same day as 12/25/05, but it needs to
be consistant with the way you have the computer set up.
Enter the temperatures as you like against this column and plot them
using the XY Scatter option in Charts

--
Jon Quixley
Jon Quixley's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25803

Amedee Van Gasse

In , cdoughty
told us an interesting story. My reply to this story is at the bottom
of this message.

I have three columns (Date, Time, and Temperature) that I am trying to
graph as a scatter chart. I would like Date and Time together on the
x-axis and I would like Temperature on the y-axis. I can't get the
date and time combined on the x-axis. There are multiple measurements
on the same day and the measurements are not spaced evenly. I would
like the scale to be with a consistent unit (i.e. certain number of
hours between points). Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cindy

For the combination of date&time:
Column A: date
Column B: time
Column C: temperature

Insert a new column before C. Temperature becomes D.
In C you put =A2+B2, and copy this down.
Make a scatter chart with columns C:D.

For the scale:
A scale of 1 in the X-axis is 1 day.
0.5 = 12 hours