Stuart Bratesman

Default XL Chart: Separately align series and value data labels

Excel charts should allow me to align the different types of data labels
("Series Name", "Category Name", "Value", etc.) individually when I am using
more than one data label type in a column chart.

For example, I would like to be able to use the Format Data Labels dialogue
box to align a set of Category Name labels "Inside Base" while I align the
value labels to "Center". At the base of the column, you would see a
category year ("FY 2006") while the center of the column would display a
value amount ("$5,634").

I use both Excel 2002 and Excel 2003.
--
Stuart Bratesman, Jr., MPP
Muskie School of Public Service

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...excel.charting
Jon Peltier

You only get one set of data labels per data series. If Excel puts
multiple values within a label, it does so by concatenation, using the
separator you specify.

To get multiple labels, you could always add an invisible series (line
or XY) that has points where you want the labels. Add labels, either
manually, or using one of these free Excel add-ins to use cell ranges
for the label text:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com/ss

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Stuart Bratesman wrote:

Excel charts should allow me to align the different types of data labels
("Series Name", "Category Name", "Value", etc.) individually when I am using
more than one data label type in a column chart.

For example, I would like to be able to use the Format Data Labels dialogue
box to align a set of Category Name labels "Inside Base" while I align the
value labels to "Center". At the base of the column, you would see a
category year ("FY 2006") while the center of the column would display a
value amount ("$5,634").

I use both Excel 2002 and Excel 2003.

Stuart Bratesman

Jon:

Thank you for your very timely reply, and I appreciate your advice.

However, I guess my point would be that Excel would be far more
convenient, flexible and responsive if it actually did offer more than one
set of data labels per series, that is, one indepent set of labels per label
type (series, category, value, etc.) instead of a single concatenated set -
with an option to concatenate them if the user were to so choose.

Having to resort to adding invisible series (which I have already had
too do on too many tiresome occassions) is painfully awkward, totally
kludgey, and far beyond the reach of the vast majority of Excel users. After
all, software is supposed to make the user's life easier and more productive
- and not the opposite.