rvExcelNewTip

Default exploded pie chart with background picture

I tried in vain to create an (exploded) pie chart where a background
picture would be exploded into slices e.g a 'euro coin face '
(http://www.ecb.int/bc/coins/common/html/index.en.html) exploded into
slices representing some percentage values.

When I try to insert a picture, the entire coin face is inserted in all
slices, resulting in ugly skewed pictures.

PS: if that is solvable, I ultimately wanted a pie-of-pie chart. :)

--
rvExcelNewTip
rvExcelNewTip's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15668

Debra Dalgleish

I don't know of any way to split the picture in a pie chart, but Andy
Pope has an example of a split banknote:

http://www.andypope.info/charts/dollarsplit.htm

rvExcelNewTip wrote:
I tried in vain to create an (exploded) pie chart where a background
picture would be exploded into slices e.g a 'euro coin face '
(http://www.ecb.int/bc/coins/common/html/index.en.html) exploded into
slices representing some percentage values.

When I try to insert a picture, the entire coin face is inserted in all
slices, resulting in ugly skewed pictures.

PS: if that is solvable, I ultimately wanted a pie-of-pie chart. :)

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Jon Peltier

Andy also has a split image for a pie:

http://www.andypope.info/charts/pieimage.htm

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

rvExcelNewTip wrote:

I tried in vain to create an (exploded) pie chart where a background
picture would be exploded into slices e.g a 'euro coin face '
(http://www.ecb.int/bc/coins/common/html/index.en.html) exploded into
slices representing some percentage values.

When I try to insert a picture, the entire coin face is inserted in all
slices, resulting in ugly skewed pictures.

PS: if that is solvable, I ultimately wanted a pie-of-pie chart. :)

Andy Pope

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately the pie image work around will not cope with explosions as
it uses a dummy series with a single point to hold the complete image.

I think I would switch to using a bank note and bar chart.

Cheers
Andy

rvExcelNewTip wrote:

I tried in vain to create an (exploded) pie chart where a background
picture would be exploded into slices e.g a 'euro coin face '
(http://www.ecb.int/bc/coins/common/html/index.en.html) exploded into
slices representing some percentage values.

When I try to insert a picture, the entire coin face is inserted in all
slices, resulting in ugly skewed pictures.

PS: if that is solvable, I ultimately wanted a pie-of-pie chart. :)

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

rvExcelNewTip

I managed more or less to fake an exploded pie chart by combining two of
andy's chart techniques:

1. I padded the data with a constant spacing value (cfr. split pound
note image), the value of which was slightly less than the least real
data value
2. I borrowed the procedure from the pieimage chart

After the pie with coin background image was created, i changed the
filling for the padding data to the same as the chart background color.
(I also had to change border color and thickness)

Afterwords I deleted the padding labels.

The resulting chart looked like am exploded pie - exploded a zero
distance from the centre

Thanks to all contributers: andy, debra, jon.