jarvo

Default Area chart, help needed.

Can anyone help me with the attached chart?

The first chart is how it currently looks, if you look at the small
black section you can see it tapers off.

however i would like it to look like the second chart and end abruptly
in a straight line.

Im using a combination of Line and Area charts.

the data is in a 3 rows.

Budget: cumulative
Won: this only shows data in the past. (also cumulative)
Forecast: only shows data in the future. (also cumulative)

i.e

month 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Budget: 1,000|2,000|3,000|4,000
Won: 800|1,600| 0| 0
Forecast: 0| 0|2,000|5,000|

Any ideas cos im stumped?

|Filename: Group-Forecast.-both.JPG |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3454 |

jarvo
jarvo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18983
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=376299

Barb R.

You may want to explain what you want again. I've very cautious of the
links I open.

You may want to transpose your data for easier graphing. I'd put it this
way:

Month Budget Won Forecast
1
2
3
4

"jarvo" wrote:

[...]

jarvo

sorry about the late reply, been away and i forgot i posted this :D

basically i have an area graph, the "Won" part goes smoothly up then
smoothly down like a hill.
i want it to go smoothly up then straight down, like a cliff.

hard to explain with out pictures.

The attachemnts are fine, no virus or anything else.

--
jarvo
jarvo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18983
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=376299

Jon Peltier

To make the area chart change vertically up or down at a single X value,
you need to use some kind of numerical values, not categories. Where you
want the vertical change, put a duplicate number for X, and put both
values for Y. This data for example, will produce an area chart that
ramps upward, and at X=4, it drops from 6 to 2:

Value
1 3
2 4
3 5
4 6
4 2
5 2

Plot the data, then using Chart Options from the Chart menu, click on
the Axes tab, and change to a time-scale category axis. This turns 1
through 5 to 1/1/1900 to 1/5/1900, so double click on the X axis, and
change the number format to something other than a date.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services